~Chapter Seventeen~

“Well, now I see what you’re always complaining about.” Rory mutters as she throws herself back on the bed.

Currently we were both relaxing in “my” room. Technically there’s an “our” that should be somewhere in that sentence, but like I’d ever tell her that. 

We were back at the pack house now. We or I, apparently had a lot of explaining to do. . .

Actually, stopping to think about this for a second, if the whole thing wasn’t crazy with Caleb being. . . well, my supposed “mate” and Rory hating hers, this could be pretty cool. I mean, we’re practically sisters as is. Add an in-law somewhere in that sentence, and there you go! Family reunions would be just that much more tolerable!

“Tell me about it.” I mumble as I collapse besides her.

“Love sucks.” She grumbles. “Let’s go join a nunnery or something.”

“Uh, no.” 

“Well, I don’t see what you’re complaining about!” She cries, getting up slightly and leaning on her side as she looks down at me. “Caleb’s freaking perfect!

“Did you miss the part where I said he kidnapped me?!” I say, turning to face her with a glare.

“Did you miss the part where I said, ‘get over it?!’” She counters. “Jenna, it’s not like he hurt you or anything. Anyway, if it’s such a big deal, they why the hell are you still here?”

“It’s not like I have a choice in the matter!”

“Just go home!” She exclaims. “You just need to say, ‘I’m going home’ and walk out that door! I’ll be damned if they could actually stop you of all people! Or, extremely big emphasis on the, “OR!” you could just stay at my house! But here you are! Living in the house of the one you claim to hate!”

“I. . .” I start. “I never said I hate him. . .” I finally settle on.

“Finally!” She cries. “PROGRESS!

“Oh, like you’re one to talk!” I snap. “Like things are going well with you and your so-called mate!”

“Hey! That is entirely his fault!” She whines. “If he wasn’t such a stick in the mud and could actually crack even a sliver of a smile, then maybe this could work out! Why the fates think we’re meant to be together, I have no clue!”

“Well, you seem to be coming to terms with this whole ‘soulmate’ business better than I did.” I say poking her in the shoulder.

“Hey, I’m only accepting this because I want you and Loverboy to get together!” She snaps. “And if that means I have to accept that what’s-his-name is possibly my ‘soulmate,’ then I will! Doesn’t mean I have to like it! Or go along with it!”

“You and me both,” I grumble.

“I know, better idea, let’s trade!” She exclaims and I watch as her eyes seem to light up. “I’ll take Mr. Dark and Mysterious and you can have mean ol’ Mr. Grouchy Pants.”

“Gee, thanks.” I say, sarcastically.

“Is that a hint of jealousy I detect?” She teases. “Anyway it’d be perfect!” She adds, nodding to herself like she has just solved the whole thing. “He’s a grouch. You’re--”

“Better not finish that sentence there, Roar.” I say, snickering at her new nickname.

Rory had been babbling for the whole ride back! Firing round after round of questions, and having some very sarcastic input once she got her answers.