Taming the Beast - Part Four

His mouth was dry, his feet were sore, his head was pounding - and he was completely lost.

Derin cursed as the sensation of cool mud filled between his toes, causing nearby mothers to frown and scowl at him. They probably thought he was a dirty, homeless scumbag. And that he was - dirty and homeless. As for the 'scumbag' portion, that would be awarded to his crazy mentor, or perhaps his back-stabbing dance partner, or perhaps just the whole world itself for existing without his consent.

"Damn the world..." the man muttered irritably, only to be jostled to the side by a stampede of little boys playing tag. He stared at their departing forms, watching the smiles of delight with the disposition of one observing a foreign species. He looked away.

"Damn children...."

With the sluggard motivation of a lazy, brooding tiger, Derin made his way through the grass, feeling the cool blades brush over his feet in an almost soothing manner.

Where was he? It was a park of some sort - though he couldn't recall for the life of him that such a thing existed near his apartment. Or was he even near his apartment?

The sun had risen high, shining through the tree branches as a grumbling sound emitted from Derin's stomach. Grimacing, he patted his pockets - only to realize for the sixth time that day that no wallet or cellphone rested in his possession.

Oh just wait until I get home to give Mr. Kelik a piece of my mind...

The thought, pleasurable as it seemed, evoked no new spurt of energy, but rather an extra dose of exhaustion. He had been kicked out to find a new dance partner, yet his utter cluelessness of how to accomplish such a feat left him wandering in frustration. He didn't want to pick just anyone. He wanted to pick a good one - perhaps the one - but considering his luck so far, this hope was as easily squashed as the dirt beneath his feet.

"I might as well go home now..." Derin voiced to himself as the heat of the afternoon pressed on his skin.

But no - he wouldn't give up. This competition was a step towards his dream. If he didn't take it, he would let down not only himself, but Mr. Kelik and everyone who had been supporting him these past years. No, he would fight.

Derin surveyed the park, his tired eyes riveted by one large oak whose branches seemed outstretched in motherly affection.

He would fight... after a nice nap.

Resolved in this reasonable compromise, Derin trudged forward through the oak's shade and, with the nimble yet powerful strength he possessed, jumped silently into the cradle of two comfortable branches. From above, he could see scattered children tumbling about the park, followed by their worried mothers, and even the occasional picnicking family - and despite himself, a lazy smile seemed to form on his lips.

Warmth, shade, breeze, sweet-scented...

Opening one eye, Derin found himself face to face with a half-plucked flower that seemed caught in the leaves above him.

Funny... I don't remember seeing that there before.

On impulse, the man reached out his hand and snagged the pitiful object from the leaves - yet before his mind could depress itself with the relevance of its symbolic implications - a more... intriguing sound was heard:

"He loves me... he loves me not... he loves me...."

A pause sustained in the air as Derin blinked in surprise, and soon his ears strained to hear the final phrase of that soft, feminine voice.