Me? Love Her? Ha! - Part Six

Daniel was pinned to the ground, blood dripping down from a split lip as a deathly shade of white consumed his features.

Cody was crouched on top, every muscle taut as his large hands wrapped around the model's throat. The jock's face shifted between instances of utter fury to showing hints of confliction, and as the seconds ticked by, sweat broke out on Daniel's blanched skin, his hands frantically pulling at the grip on his neck.

Lynn stood dumbly for a moment, then blinked.

"CODY STOP!" she cried, rushing over to his side. At the touch of her hands, Cody snapped back into awareness and released his hold, leaving Daniel to a series of wretched coughs and gasps for air.

The jock stood back, staring at the boy on the ground as shock swamped his features. Lynn's heart wrenched at the sight and, without thinking, she extended a hand to rest on his chest as her eyes found his.

"Cody?" she asked.

His sight snapped from Daniel to her, and his face shifted to one of frantic concern. "Are you alright? Did he hurt you? I swear if he hurt you-"

"I'm fine," she cut-in. "A little shaken up is all."

Cody's eyes narrowed on her neck, and a blush flooded her cheeks as his own face darkened in anger.

"You know..." said a voice nonchalantly behind them, "When hitting a model, you never go for the face. That should be proper etiquette - and really? I hardly deserved it."

Those hazel eyes ignited in flame, and before Lynn could stop him, Cody had lifted Daniel from the ground, his hands gripping the front of the boy's shirt.

"You will stay away from Lynn," the jock snarled, giving Daniel a barely-controlled shake. "No speaking, no touching, no looking. And if I so much as hear of you going near Lynn again, you will have a lot more coming to you than a split lip. Got it, pretty boy?"

Daniel stared at Cody, his face veiled as his eyes simmered in bitterness. Whether this was directed at Cody or himself, the jock would never know.

Silence pervaded and, right before Cody lost control again, he roughly released the boy, shoving Daniel several feet.

"I'll take that as a yes," the jock growled.

Lynn took a step forward. "Cody, perhaps we should-"

"No," he snapped, not seeming to comprehend what she had said in the first place. In the blink of an eye, Cody had grabbed her hand, pulled her down the hall, and pushed through the school exit.

A chilly breeze awakened Lynn's senses, which had all been a hazy mess for the past hour. Cody dragged her along the grass, seeming driven by his own demons as the setting sun sunk down. She tugged at his hand, trying to stop him as her breathing began to rasp with exertion, but he tromped on.

"Cody wait!" she protested, then suddenly stumbled as her sandal slipped off her foot.

"Ah! Cody, my shoe, I need to - ow!"

The jock skidded to a halt as Lynn cried out, bending down to cradle her stubbed toe. All anger and frustration melted away from Cody's face, replaced with a guilty expression.

"I'm so sorry, Lynn..." he began. Quickly pinpointing the lost shoe, he hastily scooped it up. The girl's breath caught as she felt his arm slip around her torso to give support, and as he crouched down beside her, holding out the sandal in expectation, she almost cried.

Just seconds ago, Cody had possessively threatened Daniel for touching her, and now he was tenderly offering to put on her shoe - as if she was the cherished Cinderella! What was this sudden change in him? How did he go from his usual grudging attitude to this outward sincerity of his affections (if they were affections)? It was like she was dreaming... and oh, how she didn't want to wake up!