Me? Love Her? Ha! - Exclusive

Daniel stood silently, watching as the two figures traveled further and further out of sight. Then, far too soon and far too quickly, they were gone.

She was gone.

A flood of emotions seemed to hit his chest, and he gasped, his legs weakening as he fell into a crouch. Putting his head in his hands, he battled away the enemies to his resolve.

This was right. He would not crumble, he would not back down. He would not compromise for anything less - no matter how much the pain sliced his heart.

Looking up, Daniel stopped, almost letting out a bitter chuckle as he spotted Lynn's brown sandal resting in front of him. How sad, how ironic that he is left one shoe. One forlorn, abandoned shoe to ease his loneliness.

No. Stop it, he chided himself. Running a hand through his hair, he reached into his pocket, pulling out what seemed to be an old, crumpled letter. Slowly he uncrumpled it, eyes skimming over the words of his past.

"What is that, Emy?"

His sister looked up from the paper in her hands, smiling at Daniel with that peaceful, wise look that some special souls possessed when nearing death. The model sat, his heart silently twisting as the continual, monotone beeps filled the background.

"An old letter... from Tom."

Daniel blinked, sitting straighter in the chair. "Tom?"

"Yes," she chuckled, her eyes straying back to the paper. "You could say he was my highschool crush. Though, I sadly admit it was more than a crush for me. I..."

She paused, her gaze softening. "I really loved him, didn't I?"

Daniel shifted in his seat, not knowing what to say. Emy, seeing his discomfort, let the paper fold in her hands.

"I was thinking... once I am gone, you and Mother could move away from LA, see new sights and relax. You've been stuck here with me too-"

"Don't," the boy choked out, not wanting to hear anymore. Emy's eyes filled, and after a moment, she turned back to fiddle with the page.

Daniel's jaw clenched and unclenched, his brain searching for a subject that wasn't sensitive, that wouldn't tear open the seams again. But what didn't hurt was shallow, and what wasn't shallow was too deep for any heart to venture. Finally, he sighed, motioning to the letter.

"This... Tom. You loved him? So why didn't you guys get together?"

Emy looked up, pausing a moment before answering.

"I loved him, yes, very much... but, you see, Tom didn't love me back - he never did. Oh, he was a wonderful friend, a true, kind, loving man. But he had fallen for another girl, one who was just as nice and loving as him. They were a perfect match, to be truthful. But Tom was hesitant, aware of my feelings, not wanting to hurt me and so on."

Daniel listened intently, a small thrill of pleasure and relief spreading as he realized he had diverted her attention and was learning more about her past - something he had not valued much until lately.

"So what did you do?" he prodded.

Emy bit her lip, her fingers tracing the letters as she stared through the parchment. Then she turned.

"I gave him the greatest gift I had. The only thing that would make Tom truly happy." Emy paused, her deep, expressive brown eyes capturing Daniel as time slowed to a halt. She smiled.

"I let him go."

The boy blinked, his eyes widening. "You... let him go?"

She nodded, her eyes trailing back to the page once more. "It hurt, seeing him go to her - it was like a knife running across my heart. But... I knew, deep down inside, I made the right choice. For him."

Her pale hand reached out, taking his own that rested on the white sheets. Daniel looked up, confliction showing on his features.

"I love you," she spoke, squeezing his hand.

The boy's face softened. "I love you too, Emy."

With that, he rose from the chair and, on impulse, bent down and kissed her forehead. A small noise of surprise came from the girl, who was unused to being the one receiving sibling affection.

Daniel walked towards the automatic door, which slid open at his approach. Before stepping out, he faced her, giving a smile.

"Bye, Emy," he said.

The girl watched as he turned, stepping out of the room. The door slid closed.

Finally, a hoarse voice whispered into the cold, dead air.

"Goodbye, Daniel."

The paper crumpled in his hand, once more shutting away the tear-splotched words, the aching loss, the hard memories. He looked up again at the shoe, watching as it sat, unmoving and alone.

He could see her face, the way her eyes looked in his with total understanding, sympathy, love.

Let us go.

The words came unbidden, echoing in his mind as his throat clamped. His hands clenched into the paper, crushing it in his grasp. And no matter how hard he tried, he could not stop the slow tremor that built up in his limbs, shaking under the weight and oppressive black that threatened to consume him.

Let us go.

A strangled gasp echoed in the settling night. The boy's shoulders convulsed, his face buried in his hands as he held the paper. Make it stop, he cried. God, please make it stop.

The last streams of light dwindled away, replaced by the subtle glow of the stars above. As the seconds ticked by, the world watched as the boy looked up and, extending his hand, quietly tucked the letter into the shoe. He closed his eyes for a second, as if saying a final goodbye to an old life, an old friend, an old love.

Then he opened his eyes, rose from the ground, and walked away.

____________________________________

*pulls out handkerchief*

And there it is revealed my readers - the truth of Daniel. I find he has grown higher and higher in my respect the more I write of him. It is truly sad he doesn't have someone yet. Perhaps I shall be inspired and give him a partner - but who knows?

If you enjoyed the story of Cody, Daniel, and Lynnette, please share this with your friends, vote, comment, follow, love, and read on to the next story! :)

And... a thanks to all who have read this, truly you guys are so amazing and I love your support - please continue this journey with me as we dive into our next romance!

(aka) Turn the page and check it out! XD

<3 Ruth