Billionaire Love - Opening

Description: Maximus and Clemein are opposites - or so they think. When a fateful "matchmaking" date brings them together, they are suddenly forced to face their own fears, live with them - or fight to the death. Together, they could win victoriously - but will they have the courage to join swords?

Rating: PG - 13 for mild swearing and tension - filled moments

A/N: Let me just say - I LOVE this story. With an extra dose of heart-wrenching drama, handsome billionaires, gangs and guns, the reader better get a seatbelt and fasten it TIGHT. (Enjoy the comedy too, I put it there just for you;)

O P E N I N G

Maximus Claden Jr. shifted in his seat, his muscles itching in tension.

He knew this would come - no defiance went without punishment. The world seemed as if it was slowly caving in, crushing him under the weight of its cruel fate as he struggled to breathe. His eyes strayed down to the phone in his hand, reading the ominous words once again.

He knows, Max.

The vibration tingled through the boy's fingers as a new message followed.

You need to watch your back - or better yet, you need to leave. Now.

Max's grip tightened around the device. Closing his eyes, he took a breath, forcing the threatening fear to be replaced by sharp intellect. Sliding his phone into his suit pocket, Max turned to face his mother. Brown hair pulled back in a businesslike manner, the woman sat erect, staring out the window of the limousine as her fingers tapped impatiently on the dashboard.

"Where are you taking me now?" Max inquired, his tone colored with a casual friendliness as he plastered a smile on his face - the smile that had controlled his every emotion for nineteen years.

"Oh," the woman turned to him, bestowing her own professional congeniality. "I have just recently been introduced to the royalty of Chrysler Banking - Mr. and Mrs. Jaquelar. They were the most friendliest of couples, and while we were talking, I discovered that they had a daughter just your-"

"A match-making session." His words cut her off before he could stop himself, though he did manage to keep the exasperation from clouding his friendly demeanor.

The woman tensed, her mouth dipping in a frown at his impertinence.

"Yes."

A million words surged for release. He didn't want to go. He didn't care about merging companies, he didn't care about maintaining the Claden line, he didn't give shit about an awkward meeting in which some female assessed him like a prized bull to be snared.

His smile beamed wider.

"Dear mother... we have attended countless of these - and yet we have come up with nothing. Didn't Father-"

The woman flinched. Max stopped, his chest twisting. Dark memories threatened to overwhelm, but he pushed them away, clearing his throat.

"...Isn't it always said that repeating the same actions will repeat the same results? We have found nothing - perhaps we should invest our time in better prospects."

His mother smiled, a chuckle coming forth as she leaned over to pat his hand. He resisted the impulse to pull it away.

"You are quite funny, dear. I am not going to be there with you. This time you'll go alone and make the atmosphere become more like a casual date. This will give a better chance for success."

The woman's son did not answer. For a moment, silence pervaded. Then he broke eye contact, resettling stiffly in his seat. She clapped in feigned joy.

"Excellent! Now, pay attention, as I will give you many details to capture her heart. Firstly, her name has always..."

Max turned, letting his eyes stare out the window as his mother jabbered. The phone in his coat pocket seemed to burn through his skin, reminding him of more pressing complications than his mother's matchmaking persistence. Too soon, the limousine pulled up in front of an elaborate three-story restaurant, its colossal pillars and white sheen seeming to burn the fires of Max's own small hell.

"...and so don't mention that, as it would be sure to make a scene. Ah, we are here! Now, are you ready, my dear Mr. Claden?"

The boy turned toward the woman, a smile plastered perfectly in place, a cheerful voice stealthily perfected. There was only one reply she would ever accept, only one reply she would ever expect - and for Max, the words came as easily as birth itself (in other words, it was excruciating). He took a breath.

"Of course, Mother."

__________________________

Hello Dear Ladies and Gentlemen!

Aww poor guy :/ What do you think of the Great Maximus, hmm? A little conflicted? Do not worry - I'll give (dare I say it) a spoiler - he is dynamic ; )

And what of the romance? Well, we all know what he'll encounter next right? With that horrid date and all *nudge nudge, wink wink* XD

Next part is up - so flip the page ;)

Love you guys!

<3 Ruth