Taming the Beast - Part One

It seemed like all her strength was sucked away. Her heart had stopped. Her mind had frozen. All she could feel was her body fully pressed against his, her eyes melting into his own green depths.

"Miss Jane."

She flinched, trying to collect the scattered pieces of her brain. What was he telling her to do? Oh yes. Get off of him. How does one do that?

Look down. Yes, you see that hand? Untangle it. Now prop yourself up...

Slowly, step by step, Jane dumbly extracted herself from the man and pushed herself off, tumbling onto the floor next to him. In a flash, he was gone. Mouth open, she looked up to find him standing up, his body tense, his nostrils flaring as he tried to control the rate of his pulse. Heat flooded her face.

"s...ss...sss..."

The man looked at her, his face priceless in its confusion. She tried once more.

"s...sss...ssssss..."

Damn it! Work mouth!

"....sorry."

Mr. Cain stared at her, blinking. He opened his mouth. He shut it. Finally, he let out a frustrated groan, effectively snapping her back from floating-through-space mode to FLEE-THE-MONSTER mode.

Mr. Cain cleared his throat. "You stayed after class for...what?"

"F-for my 'shitty performance', sir," Jane replied truthfully (and stupidly).

The man turned to her, his dazed nature vanishing as the familiar cold-and-cruel expression took over his features.

"Yes, your performance," he said pointedly. "I am truly surprised to learn, Miss Keller, that you were actually recommended to this school, and did not apply. Either the standards of our Fine Arts have dropped dramatically, or you have bribed your way through to get to this level--"

"W-what?!" Jane exclaimed. "I would never--"

"--But that is not the point, Miss Keller!" the man projected, the sharpness of his eyes demanding silence. After a short glaring contest, Jane averted her gaze, her lips pressing together in frustration.

"The point is that your performance - not only for this dance - but in the overall class has been extremely lacking in focus and commitment... and I have had enough. Through the power of the school board, you will either appear to the next class able to truly perform - or you will be expelled from this establishment. Do you understand?"

Jane looked at the man in horror. E-expelled?! When did this happen?!

"Mr. Cain!" she protested. "You cannot be serious! I put in hours of wor--"

Suddenly he was right in front of her, his eyes burning with a controlled fury that sent shivers down her spine.

"Your work," he growled, "no matter how many hours it contains, is worth nothing. Do you know why?"

Tears threatened to flow as she waited in silence, her body trembling. She didn't want to hear it. For some reason, she knew what he was getting at - yet all her body cried out to remain ignorant. She could fix it by herself. She could.

The man waited, his eyes demanding a reply.

Oh Lord, help me.

"W-why?" she finally croaked.

His voice came hard. "Because it has no heart. No matter how perfected your form, no matter how elaborate your stunts, I feel nothing when I watch you."