Billionaire Love - Part Six

"What?"

Clemein stared at the boy in front of her as if he had suggested that pigs could not only fly, but fart blueberries. "M-m-marry?!"

A cough sounded. "I'm... just going to find our ride, okay?" Gadsen said, twisting around to walk comically tip-toe out of the alley.

Max, who had been holding her hands earnestly, suddenly shut his mouth, a flush of red washing his features.

"N-no! I mean - yes! I mean - wait..." he held up a finger, trying to compose himself. He cleared his throat, stepping back. "I mean, Ms. Jaquelar, that I am proposing a solution to our problems."

Clemein eyed him as if he would foam at the mouth and start babbling like a monkey. "How...?"

"You see, in traditional American culture, when a man and a woman... m-marry, they leave their own house, and make a new one," he spoke, as if this explained everything.

"And how does this solve our problems?"

"Well... you will move from your parents house - thus reducing their power over you. And I will move from my house, which will make me independent from my mother. And we will live... together."

Clemein stared at him, her heartbeat skyrocketing. Live with someone? Marry someone?! She wasn't ready for such a commitment! Heavens, she hadn't even had her first kiss before! How was she expected to...to...

Flushing to the bottom of her toes, Clemein stumbled back, unintelligible words flying from her mouth as Max's eyes widened.

"Wait!" he cried, catching her wrist. "I mean an agreement, a fake marriage!"

Clemein stopped. "...fake?"

"Yes. We'll have the documents and everything - but it won't be real. Once we grow even more independent, or we fall in love with someone else, we can just get a divorce."

For some reason, the girl's heart dropped when she heard this. She stared at him, trying to discern the sudden hole in her chest.

But it did make sense.

"...alright," she replied. The boy froze for a moment, as if not believing his ears. Then, slowly, a smile crept up, turning into a breathtaking grin that lit his eyes. A boyish, beautiful laugh tumbled off his lips as he lifted the stunned girl, enveloping her in a joyous hug.

"Perfect!" he exclaimed, "Absolutely wonderful!"

A car horn beeped, and Gadsen waved from the end of the alley, pointing to a white limousine. Immediately Max set her down, beginning to leave - but then turning around once more.

"You coming?" he asked, his blue eyes bright, his smile shining.

Clemein blinked, the joy of being held drifting away as she realized the truth. She didn't want a marriage agreement, she wanted him. She wanted to go on a first date and awkwardly hold hands, she wanted to slowly learn about him as they spent time together, she wanted to share, appreciate, and grow with him until one day she would be swept off her feet and proposed, truly proposed to a lifetime of love and promise.

This wasn't the way it was supposed to be. She didn't want to hide her feelings, shy away and stay quiet as they lived a facade. She wanted to tell him.

I must tell him.

The thought gripped her, echoing in her head as her breathing heightened.

"Oops! I almost forgot this," Max exclaimed, suddenly moving away from the spot she was watching him.

No, wait!