His face close enough to hers that she could feel his breath on her cheek, he said, "That's my girl, no one will stop us now."

Fear flooded her senses, she could not see or think, when she opened her mouth to scream nothing, but silence came out. Flames appeared at their feet, and quickly grew up to their waist. She was in hell, and she had willingly went into the arms of the devil.

"Ryhan!" Another voice called out.

No, there was no one who could save her.

"Ryhan, open your eyes." The voice said. It was familiar and a sense of longing settled in the pit of her stomach.

"Follow my voice Ryhan, come now, and open your eyes." It was Gavin.

She tried to do as he asked, to come out of her nightmare, but it would not let her go. It held her there and threatened to pull her down into its darkness again when she felt his soft lips against her own. When she awoke, the only thing she could see was his violet eyes staring back in to hers.

As hard as she tried, she could not fight the tears that were falling. Gavin held her in his arms. She appreciated the silent comfort, as she did not want to relive the nightmare she had just endured. It was not until she saw movement out of the corner of her eye that she realized they were on the ground outside Evangeline's hut.

The smell of burnt hair clung in the air. It was heavy and thick. She felt as though she was choking on the smell. Ryhan noticed several villagers stood with their backs to them. Evangeline exited the hut with two large bags and a satchel over her shoulder, looking sullen and worried.

She knelt next to Ryhan and asked, "Do you think that you have the strength to walk?"

The tone in her voice suggested that Ryhan didn't really have a choice. She nodded to Evangeline and Gavin helped her up. Her head swam with dizziness and she took a moment to steady herself and then walked forward with them. Evangeline led the way, always several steps ahead of them. It was difficult to keep up with her and Ryhan was confused.

"Where are we going, and why are we going so fast?" She asked nearly out of breath.

Evangeline did not answer, just quickened her pace. When the mountains were in the distance behind them and after almost an hour of virtually running Ryhan halted unable to keep up with her and yelled, "STOP!"

Evangeline turned and looked around cautiously. She dropped the bags she was carrying and sat down on the ground.

"I think it's safe to rest for a bit." She said out of breath.

"What is happening? Are we running because of me?" Ryhan asked nervously.

She watched Gavin and Evangeline exchange worried looks, but no one said anything.

"I need to understand what is going on. What happened back there? Did that girl drown?" She asked.

Evangeline pulled a large waterskin out of a bag and motioned for Ryhan to sit next to her. She hesitated, unsure of what was about to be revealed to her. Gavin took her hand and she allowed him to guide her to a seated position on his lap. Glad for the chance to be close to him, she took a long drink of water and waited, rather impatiently, for an explanation.

"Ryhan, I know what that must have looked like to you, but it was a very important ritual taking place. They couldn't let you interfere." Evangeline said.

"They were killing her and everyo--" Ryhan started furiously.

Evangeline held up her hand and stopped her.

"You don't understand," She said gravely pleading with Ryhan to listen, "The three women you saw with her were sages. They are like the elders of the tribe, wise and powerful. The eldest sage was dying, and they need someone to replace her."