Rivals Meet

Chapter 30

Rivals Meet

Nayvalyan paced about the atrium impatiently. "Where is she? It's nearly dawn," he grumbled. "Essa knows her powers wane in sunlight." The frazzled wizard peeped into the courtyard to see if she returned that way. She had not, and the sun's first rays were now creeping over the landscape. "Essa will regret this if her whims cause me grief." He rose his hands and conjured a table with a large hunk of crystal set in the center. "Let's see what your up to, shall we?" The wizard moved his hands over the mineral as if caressing it, and began concentrating. "Where are you, my love? This is no time for games." No image formed in his mind, but his answer needed none. "She's been banished," he gasped. "Who? Who could have done this?" Nayvalyan leaned over the crystal, his thought bent on whom could have committed such an atrocity. An image of a young man unknown to him formed in his mind. Intent on knowing more, he focused and finally ascertained Essa's fate, but what he saw apparently horrified him. "No. Not that," he cried. The wizard turned away in greif, and only with difficulty did he resume gazing. The image blurred as it changed to a place more familiar to him. There, laying in a grassy grove surrounded by mighty oaks lay Nigel, who was being tended by Lazarus. "So... I have you to thank, Old Friend." He drew away from the crystal, shaking with sorrow, and fueled by an unquenchable vengeance. "This will be the last time you cause me pain." He reached for his staff, then raised it and vanished from sight.

***

Nigel awoke to meet the dawn with weary eyes.

"Is she really gone? Have I slain her?" He asked.

"Slain? Yes— In a matter of speaking," answered Lazarus.

"What does that mean?" asked Nigel.

"It means you were lucky. Vanquishing demons takes more than skill and training. It requires special items, ones that weren't available to you. Fortunately she provided the way to bring about her own demise."

Nigel spoke with new understanding. "The Dream. She needed it to kill, but it also left her vulnerable."

"Correct, lad. There's hope for you after all." Lazarus gazed at his pupil with pride, but his face fell upon seeing his wounded arm. "I see your victory came with a price."

"Yes," replied Nigel, dully. "A badge of honor I suppose, but one I'll bear proudly."

"What weaponry could inflect such an injury I wonder?" Said Lazarus softly.

The lad's expression hardened.

"A snake-like whip," replied Nigel, not hearing the wizard's words but guessing his mind.

Lazarus frowned. "Venomous no doubt."

"Probably," answered Nigel, "but I'm fine, really." He tried standing, but a sudden dizziness prevented him.

"Lay still. I'll make something to ease your pain." He paused. "There is something else you need to know. I'm not sure how to tell you this. Jessica is dead, lad."

Nigel gripped the Wizards robes in anguish. "That can't be," he shouted. "Where is she? I must see her."

"There's nothing to see. I assure you. She gave her life to save yours. There was no other way."

Lazarus stood to meet a gust of wind, and the chaotic frenzy of panic fairies.

"What's wrong my friends?" The wizard was bombarded with high-pitched buzzing similar to that made by angry bees.

"What has gotten them so riled?" asked Nigel, wiping away his tears.

"They speak of danger, and a power equal to mine."