Chapter 14 - Next Adventure

Then she was being kissed, by the happiest Peter she had ever known. His kiss was not of passion but of pure joy, but inside she was scared. How would they get home? What would be her role here? Peter was always in some type battle and in danger, what if he got hurt? What if...? The fears threatened to overwhelm her and she clung to him.

Then a soft breeze blew past her and the fearful thoughts started to recede. She could trust him. He had been here before. He knew what to do. He was obviously glad she was here with him. She started to relax and to feel a peace that usually only Aslan brought...

They heard a chuckle from in a little ways in front of them. A deep, rich, voice spoke "Peter, April!"

They broke apart and were amazed to see Aslan there. They ran toward him and knelt in the sand.

"Rise son of Adam, rise daughter of Eve and welcome!" he said.

They went forward and hugged him relishing in his presence and the feel of his soft mane. They then stepped back.

"I know you have questions Peter. Especially about why you are here...I guided you both through the forest to the nearest doorway. More importantly, you have finally come to terms with not being in Narnia. Sometimes you have to get to the point where you can release control of the things you long for the most before they will happen. Also, you have lived well and obeyed me in your own world and have come to know me there just like I have asked you to. Consider this a gift, but know that Narnia is in grave danger and very much in need of her High-King." Looking at April, he added, "And, her Queen."

Peter, taken completely by surprise, looked wide-eyed at April and then at Aslan, "Do you mean...?"

"Yes," Aslan laughed. "I take it from your embrace a moment ago and your question she answered in your world that you would not object to her being your Queen?"

Peter couldn't seem to speak, but shook his no, and turned to April, holding her eyes and her hands.

"A fortnight from this time today, I will return to perform the ceremony and coronation. Until then, be watchful and listen closely to those around you."

Then he was gone. April turned to Peter but he wasn't in front her. She looked down, he was on one knee in the sand still holding her hand.

"I'm not sure any man has ever proposed twice in one day. But then I guess I'm not just any man. You promised to be my wife in our world. But now, here in Narnia, will you please...be my Queen?"

She swallowed her fears and with tears in her eyes, said, "How could I do otherwise, when I love you so? I would be honored to be your queen."

He stood and took her in his arms, and with his voice breaking, said, "Now, you have made all of my dreams come true!"

~~Section Break~~

They walked hand in hand barefoot along the edge of the water. Peter was expressing his thoughts to April of the last time he was on this beach when he, Edmund, Susan and Lucy had arrived here to help Caspian regain his throne. He was older now and maybe a little more staid with his love for April, but he was no less exuberant. April smiled a quiet smile. She was happy too, but unsure, this being her first time here.

Peter was explaining why he thought they would need the two weeks to get ready for the wedding. First and foremost was that it took a few days to acclimate to being in Narnia. It always seemed that the siblings grew up a bit, argued less, and became more self-sufficient here. Maybe it was because there were no adults around, maybe it was the sense of freedom and then responsibility for the tasks they had to undertake once they were here. Life was simpler, and yet more complex in Narnia.

Peter said he was also very much looking forward to being king again, of having an important task to complete and was hoping to make better, less prideful choices this time around.

He was talking about Cair Paravel, wondering if it would be there. He had built her a sand castle once on the beach modeled after this castle, and she had never forgotten it. A sense of excitement filled her at the thought of visiting the castle. And, she might be living there, reigning as a queen! It was almost too overwhelming to think of.

They walked around a corner and April had to stop. She heard Peter's audible sigh of relief and quiet exaltation. There before them on a cliff overlooking the water was the most amazing castle she had ever seen or could ever dream of. It took her breath away. It was Cair Paravel, not in ruins she thought with relief, but in its full glory! High rising turrets and balconies met buildings all made of a sandstone type material. It was awe inspiring and...

"Magnificent!" she breathed.

He squeezed her hand, "I've always thought so. I can't wait to show it to you! There is so much I want you to see, and so much to do!"

Then he was dragging her toward the cliffs and woods. He was searching for something and smiled when he found it. He had uncovered a set of stone stairs that looked to lead up the cliff to the castle. They were perfectly hidden from anyone who did not know exactly where to look.

He took her hand, and said with a gleam in his eye, "Up those stairs is our next adventure. Are you ready?"

The End

* Descriptions of the dryads were gathered from Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis.

** Text adapted from Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis.

*** Concepts drawn from The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts, by Dr. Gary Chapman.

(A/N: Be watching for the next book in the series...Promises of Narnia. In this sequel to Engagements of Narnia, discover the wonderful Narnian adventures that await High King Peter and soon-to-be Queen April. However, they and their Country are in very real danger. As they fight to unravel the mystery, they will learn what it means to truly become one: discovering promises of a deep love, an unending hope, and a lasting faith in each other, and their God.

Excerpt from Promises of Narnia...

She stood outside the double doors to the main hall trying to stop her racing heart and slow her breathing. The doors had closed to allow her a grand entrance. She heard the music swell and change, then the doors were flung open. At first her senses were dazzled, bright morning sunshine streamed in and sparkled through the magnificent stained glass window behind the dais. Flutes and lyres were pouring out beautiful music, the decorations were incredible white banners stretching across the high ceiling with green vines of beautiful colors strung between then and around the columns, not to mention all of the people and creatures lining the carpeted aisle.

She clutched her bouquet of flowers concentrating on holding it where it was supposed to be. Would she even be able to walk? She was trembling so much. She knew a second of panic until her eyes settled on him. He had moved into place at the end of the aisle and even from this distance she could see that he was smiling at her, not just any smile, but the one he always seem to save just for her. Her trembling ceased as everything else faded from view and she saw only his eyes as she slowly moved forward.