Chapter 1 - Heartbreak

(A/N: Welcome to the sequel of Traces of Narnia. The story is set in Great Britain in 1942 (after the Pevensie's time in Narnia with Prince Caspian). They are currently in The New Forest just outside of the village of Sway. Peter Pevensie is almost 16 and original character April is 17. Just in case you missed the dramatic ending of the previous book here it is. I hope you enjoy this action-packed, yet very romantic love story. Reviews are always welcome.)

Last section in the Traces of Narnia book:

It was a beautiful day to be in the forest. April talked with them about the circle of trees they called 'the grove' while they walked. She reminded them not to touch the brush at the top of the circle nor to reach their hands in between the trees. She spoke of her ancestors and the traditions of their family. When they arrived Lucy and Edmund could hardly contain their excitement Edmund checked his watch to see about time standing still, and they both circled around the grove exclaiming over the shimmering. Edmund made Peter go inside so he could test the invisibility. Lucy linked her arm in April's and thanked her for bringing them here. They walked into the grove together.

Lucy was talking but April couldn't hear her well. As soon as she walked into the circle of trees she felt it. Something was different, very different. She felt almost choked, like her air was being cut off. Peter noticed and came over to her.

"Do you feel it, Peter?" she asked.

Peter stopped and looked around. "It's different this time, isn't it?" The unusual energy he had felt here before was gone. Now, it just felt...lifeless and something else that he couldn't define, but seemed familiar, dread perhaps?

Edmund and Lucy looked concerned. Peter said, "Try the dance."

She quickly put on her shoes, told them to remain still, and began. Lucy breathed in awe watching April move like the dryads in order to wake the tees. It was beautiful. She was beautiful. Tall and willowy, her long blond hair floated around her face as she danced. Her green eyes were wary but started to sparkle.

April began to feel a little better as she danced until she touched the first tree. She stepped back in shock, normally fairly warm to her, the tree felt cold. The others did too. By the time she finished there were tears running down her face and she was almost panicky. She ran into Peter's arms. They looked up. Where the trees should have swayed once or twice, they barely, almost imperceptibly moved.

"This isn't right," Peter said and motioned them to go to the large beech tree, her Grandmother's tree. He spoke, introducing Lucy and Edmund, at first nothing happened, then one small shriveled leaf fell to April. April would have collapsed had Peter not been watching her. Tears ran uncontrollably down her face.

Edmund looked around wide-eyed, "Do you feel cold? I'm very cold all of a sudden."

They heard a strange noise and noticed a white film began to form all around the edges of the circle at the base of the trees. Edmund touched it.

"Frost!" he exclaimed. 

They all began to feel chilled. Then they heard it, not with their ears but inside their minds. A woman's laugh, a deep vengeful laugh. They looked at each other in disbelief, but they had all heard it. The air became colder and they heard the laughter again. Peter and Edmund reached to draw swords that were not there. They slowly backed up to the center of the circle. April trembled in Peter's arms and then fainted.

Edmund whispered, "It's her!"

Engagements of Narnia...