Chapter 11 - The Dream

(A/N: Just a reminder, this chapter contains some mild content. Thanks for reading.)

Chapter 11 - The Dream

Peter woke in a cold sweat and sat up in his bed. The dream had been so real. He blew out his breath and looked at his hands, they were shaking. It was only a dream, he thought, then fell back on the pillow. After a long while he was able to go back to sleep.

The next thing he knew was feeling a thump of a pillow on his head. A voice registered, "Peter, wake up! What's wrong with you?"

It was Edmund. "Aw, Ed, stop! Why are you hitting me?"

"Because, you overslept. Everyone is gathering for breakfast and we are all headed to the mission this morning."

Peter groaned, not because he didn't want to go to the mission, but because of the dreams he had and lack of sleep. He stumbled out of bed, not paying attention, and went into the hall. Edmund watched him with a smirk on his face. Peter was getting ready to run straight into April and he was ready for a laugh.

"Ooof! Hey, watch where you are going!" Peter mumbled, thinking he had run into Susan.

"Ow, Peter! What...?" said a voice that was not Susan's.

His eyes flew open, April was on the floor, and he heard cackling behind him. Edmund was doubled over with laughter. Peter's eyes narrowed, he would deal with his brother later. He reached down and pulled April up.

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" he asked rubbing his eyes.

She nodded but gave him a wary look. He was too distracted to notice, he mumbled something and ducked into the lavatory.

Susan was standing in the doorway watching. "He can be a grouch sometimes, don't let him get to you April. Let's go get breakfast."

The shower improved his appearance but not his attitude. The contents of the dreams were troubling him. He was angry with her for what had happened in the dream. Completely unrealistic, but combined with the lack of sleep, it made him sullen and unresponsive. He knew April was watching him closely during breakfast, but he couldn't meet her eyes. Edmund had guessed and kept ribbing him about the 'nightmares' he had last night. Lucy suggested that he talk about the dreams so they could help. Edmund laughed harder. Then his mother commented that Peter looked flushed, did he have a fever? His father eyed him carefully, and finally called for peace. Peter shot him a grateful look.

He walked near April on their way to the mission, but was silent. She was quiet too. He knew he needed to talk to her, but on the way to church was not the right time. Besides, he was confused and until he got it sorted, he was likely to say something he didn't mean. She soon dropped back to talk with Lucy and he was glad to be alone.

After lunch he finally felt ready to talk and went to look for her, but she had gone for a walk. Was she avoiding him? He deserved it. He hadn't said more than three words to her today. He heard laughter and the front door open. He went to stand in the hallway and lounged against the doorframe like he had all the time in the world. She saw him and froze. Lucy half hugged her and skipped around Peter leaving them alone.

"Hi," he said softly.

"Hello," she replied warily.

He came toward her, "Can we talk?"

She nodded. They went out to the garden and sat on the bench. He was quiet for a minute not knowing how to start. He took a deep breath and plunged in.

"I'm sorry for today. I have been angry and confused and have not handled it well."

She was quiet, waiting for him to continue. This was going to be difficult.