Chapter 6 - Night Together

It was late. They were in the house alone. She was still in his embrace pressed tightly against him. He had been under a lot of stress and the relief alone made his head spin. He had to be in control tonight, or he could ruin everything. He knew it was risky to be here by themselves, but he had no choice now. It was too late for her to go back to school. He put her gently from him and explained the situation. She didn't seem nervous or scared. She said she trusted him which added to the pressure.

"We shouldn't go upstairs at all, or change clothes for the night, do you understand why?"

She blushed which gave him his answer. She looked uncomfortable now. He took her hand and led her into the living room. You sleep on the couch and I'll take the floor. He went to the linen closet to find the blankets. He thought if they were at least in the same room he or she wouldn't be tempted to sneak up or down the stairs adding the element of excitement into the mix. He would leave a small light on too.

She made him up a pallet on the floor in front of the couch and made the couch up with a blanket and pillow for herself. He checked the doors and came back into the room stifling a yawn and rubbed his hands through his hair. She was getting settled on couch and she looked up at him. She was so beautiful, he had missed just the sight of her. He laid down on the floor and they were quiet for a bit.

"Peter?" she asked softly, "Are you awake?"

"Yes," he answered.

"Do you want to sleep? I know you must be tired."

"No, I don't think I could. Too much has happened tonight."

"Will you talk with me? Tell me about Lucy and Edmund and Susan, how are they?"

He began to talk to her about normal things which was a relief to both of them. They talked for a long time. He was finishing a funny story about Edmund and fencing and stood up to demonstrate. She was raised up on an elbow laughing and enjoying the story. He finished and stood staring at her.

"Do you want to come up here?" she asked. "I would really like to be close to you."

He nodded and removed the cushions from the back of the couch, so there would be room for them both. It was a good thing the couch was long. She moved so he could lay against the back. His heart was pounding as she settled in next to him. She shivered. He asked if she was cold and she nodded. He pulled a blanket up over them and she turned her back to his stomach. He put an arm around her and relaxed. It was wonderful to be this close to her, they were even sharing a pillow. She was soft and her hair smelled good. He couldn't help himself, he brushed the hair away from the back of her neck and leaned to kiss the spot. She sighed audibly and he knew that was a mistake. He leaned back a bit. It was too early for him to start learning her secrets.

"I love you Peter."

He pulled her slightly closer and whispered in her ear...

                I love you as the spring breeze blows, cool and soft and free

                I love you as only heaven knows, true as true can be

                I love you as the sweet red rose, blooms fragrant in the sun

                I love you as the wittiest prose, full of laughter and much fun

                I love you as the setting sun, when it leaves the sky

                I'll love you 'til my days are done, and never say goodbye

"Mmm, that's really good. Someone has been paying attention in poetry class. Who wrote that?"

"I did, for you."

She rotated back a bit to turn her head toward him on the pillow. "Peter!" she breathed in awe.

He kissed her then, long and sweet. She tried to deepen it, but he kept pulling back making it light and fun. She smiled into his kiss. "Are you playing with me?" she asked.

"Mmm Hmm," he said in the middle of a kiss, and then pulled away. "We can't let things get too serious here."

She smiled and touched his cheek, "You take such good care of me."

"That's my job," he said snuggling his head into her hair. She turned on the pillow looking away from him.

"Peter?" she asked tentatively. At his response she continued. "Will you tell me about Camille?"

He was not expecting her to ask that. He was quiet for a moment then began, "It was a long time ago. I had not thought about her in years until Kat appeared. The girl you saw in your dream? She looked just like Kat. It was uncanny. Your letter arrived two days after Kat hurt her ankle. Edmund and I were both speechless after reading that part of your letter. That you knew what was happening with me, without any prompting, was spooky to say the least.

But, I have not answered your question. His arm tightened about her. Camille was passionate as you saw. There wasn't much else to her. Her father arranged her marriage right after that ball, I never saw her again. And I realized once I wasn't around her, that there was nothing lasting between us. It is easy to confuse passion with love sometimes. What you and I have is so different. I don't feel whole if you are not with me. And, I would have you reign beside me as Queen in a heartbeat. Camille would have been a horrible choice for a queen. Is that what you wanted to know?" 

"Um, how passionate were you two?"

He laughed, he could feel the heat in her cheeks. "You're blushing, I can tell. Let me just say this," he turned her face towards his so she could see his eyes in the dim light.

"You will be the first to have all of me, as I know I will be the first for you. I could not imagine us giving each other a greater wedding gift than that. There will be no other people in the room with us. Our thoughts will only be of each other, something I am very grateful for."

She smiled and he kissed her once. He didn't trust himself to kiss her any more after that. It was getting really late. She yawned. He said, "Go to sleep my love and know that I only dream of you."