Chapter 10 - The Date

(A/N: I haven't been in the habit of placing notes at the beginnings of a new chapter, but this one I feel needs a bit of introduction. There is some mild content in this and the next chapter, not added gratuitously, but because I feel it is critical to the character's development and will play a role in the story to come. So consider Chapters 10 and 11 to be rated Teen +. Thank you for reading. I hope you are enjoying the book. I am currently working on a third and forth book in this series. Watch for more to come and please feel free to review.)

Chapter 10 - The Date  

There had been a lot of giggling coming from the girl's room all afternoon. When Lucy and Susan had heard that Peter and April were going on a date, they coaxed April into letting them do her hair and makeup and had been at it all afternoon. The door was open just a bit, so he tapped on it then pushed it open. April was sitting in front of a mirror that was opposite the door, so she saw him enter and gave him a bit of smile. He leaned against the door frame watching his sisters' chatter and twitter around her like little birds and tried to hide his amused smile. That made April smile bigger and his sisters turned to see him there.

"If you two are done, I think I'll take my girl out now," he teased.

April stood and hugged his sisters then came toward him. He gave a low whistle and she blushed. The girls had swept her hair over to one side, leaving a cascade of flowing blond curls down the other. She normally didn't wear makeup, he had never thought she needed it, but tonight it only enhanced her natural beauty. Her eyes were larger and more luminous. The red on her lips made her that much more desirable. Like he needed any additional encouragement to kiss her, he thought ruefully. Her dress was a white muslin with short flowing sleeves, and a low scooped neckline. The waist was fitted and the skirt full and flowing. She seemed to float on the air over to where he stood. She was wearing low heels for a change that evened out their slight height difference. A very enticing package in general.

"Well, I will certainly be escorting the prettiest girl in London tonight!" he exclaimed.

Lucy squealed, "I knew you would like it!"

"Have a good time," Susan said.

~~Section Break~~

Their walk to the restaurant was short and the sun was setting over the war torn city. It was sobering to see the effects of the air-raid bombs still lingering from the evacuation days. It always threatened to draw him back into the terror he felt during that time. But tonight, he refused to think about it. He felt his hand being squeezed and looked over. She always seemed to read his moods. He smiled intertwining their fingers and she sighed.

"Tonight is about us, not about past battles," he said, looking into her questioning eyes.

The restaurants these days were small and run by individual families. He opted for Italian, since they didn't normally get that fare at either of their schools. They were seated in a corner table for two, the light was dim, lit mostly by candles. They ordered and he took her hand. She looked into his eyes.

"Thank you for tonight. This is really nice," she smiled.

He grinned, "It is long overdue for us. And, it is my pleasure."

They talked lightly of their week and their families. She had received a letter from home and shared with him her younger sister's Elisa's antics making them both laugh. The food arrived and it was delicious. They lingered after eating trying to decide if they wanted dessert when the waiter came over with a bottle of wine. He informed them the table near them didn't finish the bottle and offered to share it with the rest of the patrons. Would they like a half glass? Peter agreed and the waiter set glasses in front of them.