Chapter 12 - Time Moves On

April's school schedule was different from the others. They saw each other daily while Peter was on break. They spent most of the time around the school, having decided to only be at his house when the others, especially Edmund, would be around to keep them accountable. Now knowing that April wouldn't want to stop him, Peter decided they needed to be extra cautious figuring the best way to avoid temptation was to remove themselves from it. So, they tried very hard not to be alone together. Of course the desire was still there between them, just tightly held in check. But, that didn't stop Peter from pulling her into the shadows every now and then when he said goodbye.

April did indeed start to drop the facade and she found the other girls to be very accepting. That she was practically engaged to a guy like Peter helped quite a bit. Andre had indeed kept his promise and treated her with only respect. This in turn caused Lauren to be much less vicious to April since she was not "competition" any longer.

Peter had planned to visit her every couple of weeks, but he had not factored in fencing tournament season with matches on Saturdays, and the visits stretched to once a month. During those times they corresponded by letters...

Dear April,

It feels strange not to be with you this weekend. Our fencing tournament this morning was smashing! Our team won. Although I tend to rank at the tournaments, Edmund is clearly the champion. Something for which I find myself grateful for in a strange way. I think we both travel back to Narnia in our minds when we fence and that makes it really exciting for us. Our coach says personality and attitude has a lot to do with winning.

Speaking of Narnia, I find myself thinking more and more of it. Remembering things I had long forgotten like how the Great River looks when it is breaking free of it's winter's ice at the first sight of spring, or even how much I like just wandering around the castle. I imagine myself there with you and it fills me with a longing for both of you that is akin to torture. So, why do I think about it? I can't help it, I guess the long days of studying are taking its toll and that is the release my mind likes best.

I've had a chance to talk with Susan more this term. She still does not want to talk about anything having to do with Narnia. I am beginning to accept that part of her though and have found commom ground with her elsewhere. It does make me sad deep inside that I can't share those memories with her. But, I understand that we each have our different ways of coping with reality.

Lucy, however is always fun to be with and always finds a way to cheer me up. There is never any lack of conversation between us. It is amazing but she is still teaching me things about Aslan...Christ as we know Him now. And, she enjoys sharing her Narnian memories including details I haven't heard about her voyage on the Dawn Treader. We have spent a lot of time discussing our not being able to return to Narnia and she seems to be adjusting to that fact better than I did. I hope I am able to help her some.

Edmund has met a girl at Saint Finbars and is distracted a lot these days. It is fun to finally be able to give back some of the ribbing and grief he has given to me about you. Edmund has a more playful spirit than I do, and he seems to be handling things well.

As I close, know that I think of you all the time. It seems everywhere I turn there is a memory of you and it makes me miss you all that much more, which I thought was impossible to do!

With much love and all my heart,

Peter

When Peter did visit April they studied together and had started reading scripture together as well. It added a richness and closeness to their relationship that neither one of them expected. Peter's parents attended the mission now with them and his father had become interested in the work happening in that part of the city.

They had dinner with his parents regularly which April enjoyed. Since Peter had opened up to his parents about Narnia there had been fun discussions and a rapport that hadn't been there before. They knew about her history now, and it was a relief to be able to speak freely in front of them.

April spent the Christmas Holidays with her family but came to The Pevensies' for New Years. They spent a wonderful evening with his family ringing in 1943. The kiss he shared with her at midnight was a promise of their being together in the New Year.

As the winter moved to a close, Peter started thinking more about their future. He had been accepted to the London School of Economics and Political Science for the fall. April would audition for a spot in the Sadler's Well Ballet Company for chance to dance on the Royal Opera House stage in July. Life was moving on and it was time for the next step.

~~Section Break~~

One almost spring Saturday afternoon Peter and April were sitting in her deserted lobby. They happened to be studying the same Shakespearean play and she was reading aloud to him. They were cuddled up on one of couches and he was tracing the lines on her palm snickering when she had trouble concentrating on the words she was reading. She finally gave up and leaned against him. He was in a playful mood and neither of them really wanted to study.

"Do you know when your spring break is?" he asked suddenly, remembering to ask.

"I'm not sure, let me check," she disappeared for a moment and came back with her calendar. He leaned over her shoulder and noticed that she had written something on today's date. He looked closer. It read, '1 year ago, first kiss with Peter.' He looked up at her and she blushed.

"It's silly, right, to record something like that?" she asked sheepishly.

He shook his head, but started teasing her about putting his name on the note asking how many other first kisses were on the calendar from other guys.

She punched his arm, laughing, trying to take the calendar back. He avoided her easily and was flipping through it. She had noted the first everything for them. He sobered and looked at her.

"I'm glad you wrote all this down. I haven't forgotten any of it, but would have never remembered the dates. It has been a fun year hasn't it?"

They laughed together remembering the times that were not so fun. After they calmed, he looked into her eyes.

"It has been the best year of my life." he said kissing her palm.

She laughed, "You can't be serious. All that time you spent in Narnia..."

He cut her off, "Didn't mean near so much without someone to share it with!"

She gave him a loving look and he wished they were completely alone. He then remembered they were comparing dates for spring break. Amazingly, their breaks coincided.

"May I go home with you?" he asked quietly.

She turned to him surprised and then pleased, "Of course you can!"

She leaned over to kiss him, but was interrupted by some noisy girls coming into the lobby. Peter knew that studying was futile.

"Want to go to the movies?" he asked, needing to get his mind off of their spending spring break together. He was excited and was already planning something very special.