28. Unaware of the Danger

Start from the beginning

"Sirius, you're eating like a savage" I commented drily, watching in mild amusement as Sirius licked the grease off his fingers before flipping me off.

"I was hungry" he said without an ounce of regret.

"That doesn't necessarily mean you can just forget your manners and act like some sort of caveman" Remus suggested with a pointed look at the chicken bone Sirius was currently nibbling on, not a scrap of meat left on the bone.

"I can't hear you over the sound of the pot screaming at the bloody kettle" Sirius answered sarcastically "Besides, you were also wolfing down your food, Moony"

Then he realized his choice of words and laughed out loud, unable to contain his laughter.

"...wolfed down.....You get it?" he said with a look at Remus, who was shaking his head in resignation, but I could swear I saw the corners of his mouth lift slightly upwards.

I couldn't help the snort that escaped me, and I watched in amusement as Sirius flicked the bone over his shoulder without looking or caring where it landed, and  cleaned up his greasy hands with a piece of cloth handed to him by you girl, who was looking at him adoringly. She was pretty, with a wild mane of ebony curls, and pretty caramel eyes. She was gazing at Sirius with a wistful look in her big, doe-like  eyes.

And Sirius was taking no notice whatsoever. 

"Dance with me Aurora" he joked, noticing how the music changed tune and now took a more upbeat rhythm.

"Sirius, no-wait...what the hell are you doing?!" I shrieked as Sirius just grinned at me and reached to grab my hand and pulling me towards him roughly.

"Dancing. Isn't it obvious?" Sirius challenged me, his hand now on my waist as he started waltzing me around in a widening circle. It wasn't elegant, nor graceful, but it was fun. Sirius was charming man, and he had a way of making you instantly feel at ease. And with the devil-may-care attitude and the apparent effortlessness to his movements I was momentarily distracted.

"See? It isn't that hard" he told me with one of his signature smirks.

"You're incorrigible, Black" I said, but my snide remark lacked a real edge and I smiled softly. With all the stress and all the dark things that had been going on lately I'd lost focus on the fact that despite everything, I still had my own life to live. The past year and a half had been a rollercoaster of emotions, with nothing but hurt and pain to show for it. I was a grown woman for Merlin's sake! An Alchemist to boot and an excellent witch. Sirius was a good reminder that I could still have fun, even when things looked otherwise gloomy.

"And you love me for it" Sirius said with another grin. But there was a seriousness to his eyes that wouldn't fade. I could sense people around us looking, staring. Their eyes were trained on the unlikely pair Sirius and I made as we danced to the strangely enchanting music.

"What happened, Aurora?" he finally asked, looking at me with a sad smile "I know we've known eachother only for what? A year now? But...we get along. We're friends. I trust you. But...something is making you sad, and I want to know whose ass I need to kick"

I chuckled, but it was a joyless sound. 

"It's fine, Sirius. I'll figure it out" I mused quietly, letting go of his shoulder and stepping back a bit.

"Aurora, if something is wrong you know you can tell me. Me and Remus...we'll help you" Sirius said insistently, grabbing my forearm and looking  at me, shoulders tensed.

"I know..." I breathed, my voice barely audible over the music "...And that's exactly what I'm afraid of"

And it was true. If either Sirius or Remus got even the tiniest hint that Severus had something to do with my behavioral changes....there'd be hell to pay. Remus was kind and forgiving by nature, but if he were to know how badly things got between Severus and I on occasions, he'd make sure that whatever it was that was going on between me and Severus, would stop. Permanently. The same thing went for Sirius. He already hated Severus, and if he found out the emotional conundrum I was in was even remotely related to Severus, he'd make sure that the Potions Master would pay for it. The fact that half of the problem was my fault  would be overlooked by the two men I'd come to care for so deeply. They were good friends, loyal and trustworthy. I'd never hesitate to tell them anything....except for this. This was the one thing I couldn't  tell them.