Chapter 48: A Friendship Across Lifetimes

SPYRO buried the Atlas and hoped that one day, his brother would find it. It was his last request, and this was the least Spyro could do for him.

"Spyro," Cynder asked once he finished digging, "do you really think Crash will find the Atlas a hundred thousand years from now? What if he doesn't even exist or the book deteriorates after so long."

"I know he will find it, Cynder. I asked Thomas about this, he said I could use a certain spell to ensure the book doesn't age for a very long time."

"Well, I hope your right, Spyro."

Spyro could tell that Cynder felt nervous. It must have been the alternate past that they had read about, the past where Crash never showed up and intervened because he didn't even exist yet in the future. Spyro had killed her; a twisted mutated version of Cynder conjured by Malefor, but her nevertheless. Sparx sacrificing his life to keep Spyro alive after his brutal final encounter with Malefor, and then the solemn life that Spyro lead afterwards with Ember and his two kids. Kindle... his son's final words which he said at Spyro's funeral made Spyro cry in both regret and shame as he read his speech through the Atlas. Loosing Cynder had caused him so much pain that he couldn't even have a family afterwards. Cynder and Spyro had fallen in love, and it was taken from them. And now, here they are together on the beach.

"Spyro," Cynder said after a long pause, "do you remember when Crash found out that Flame liked Ember?"

"How could I forget? Ember finally gave me her necklace that she made for me on that day." Spyro had to hold back more emotion.

"Do you know how he had found out?"

"No, did Crash tell you?"

"Sort of. It was when we all were at Dragon Shores. I had asked him how he knew."

"And what did he say?"

"He said he made an educated guessed."

"He didn't know for sure?"

"Oh I know now that he knew. Because he also told me when I was ready, I should tell you how I feel."

"About what?"

Cynder reached forward and kissed him. Spyro tensed up at first, not expecting the kiss nor knowing what to do, but the moment subsided and he kissed back. He did love her, all this time. The sun set in the distance, and Spyro thought about Crash's tradition of watching the sun set everyday he could. He himself would have to try that with Cynder.

"I'll always remember what happened in another time," Cynder said solemnly, "how different it was, what could have been had Crash not accidentally been sent into the past."

"It means we should cherish the life we have now. I never want to live the life I had when I lost you. The shame, the regret, It was something I feared every day since I was destined to defeat the Sorceress. That somehow I would fail, I wouldn't be able to do what everyone depended on me doing. That because of my inability, the people I love would die."

"Then let's cherish every day we have together, Spyro. Let's explore the world and live the life you've always wanted, like your father did."

Spyro smiled and looked at the young Black Dragoness he wanted to spend the rest of his life with now. Crash was right, when you find this strange feeling called love, it's the best thing in the world.

"You have to promise me one thing Cynder. Every day we can, we watch the sunset together."

"I wouldn't want it any other way."

Coco walked up to Crash and sat down next to him on the beach.

"So Nina and Kawabata seem to be getting along quite well. It's weird, seeing yourself marry someone, and now in an 'alternate reality' watching him fall for someone else."

"Do you love him?" Crash asked with his SAD as he stared at the horizon.

"I don't know. I guess it was the time I got to know him in the other reality that allowed me to love him after my brother... 'died'. But now, I guess not. I can't believe Nina agreed to live in Budakan, either."

"I think I have... had feelings for Nina."

"You think these feelings emerged because you found out how much she cared for you pre-mutation?"

"Yeah, I guess. Memories of that time are vague. They're not fluid, and they center on emotions and sensations rather than tangible memories. But I think I do remember her smile, and her affection."

"Well, maybe you should say something."

"No. I love...d Tawna. But she's gone. I keep thinking about my purpose in life, and the question gets harder to answer once I think about my former self. He lost Tawna as well, and then he lost you and Niko after being trapped in the past. He was always alone, the only of his kind, but found comfort in the families he made. And he was willing to sacrifice his life for those he carried about, even if he struggled with find a reason for himself to live. But that person is still me right? Is that my purpose, then, to protect those I care about? To be better than what I was created for?"

"I'll tell you something my mother once told me." ˂Life is not what you make of it, it's the lives of others whom you helped make.˃

"You know Niko told me about your mother and how much her death meant to you."

"It gave me new purpose. To protect my family."

"Am I part of your family?"

"Yes." Coco hugged him and Crash started tearing up. "What's wrong, Crash?"

"I was also thinking of Spyro. I think I... miss him."

"You yourself have never met him or any Dragon."

"I don't believe that. I think somehow I remember what my past self-felt. Those visions that N Tropy talked about, they were about Spyro."

"The visions given to him and you by the Power Gems?"

"Yeah. I have a family in the past as well, and I've never seen them and will never see them."

"That may be true Crash. But take solace in the fact that you helped shape their lives for the better."

"And I will grateful for how they shaped my life. Thanks Spyro." Crash managed to say those last two words perfectly without the use of his SAD. Coco looked at him surprisingly, and reveled at hearing her best friend's voice clearly for the first time. She leaned over and kissed him on the check, and then handed him a wampa fruit.

Crash stood up and walked towards the shoreline as Coco watched sitting underneath a palm tree. Cynder waited as Spyro and Sparx watched the sunset together.

Separated not by any distance but only by time, Spyro and Crash watched the sun set together. Crash looked onward with a serious look on his face as he finally found his purpose in life and content with it; Spyro with a single tear in his eye as he shared his lost brother's pastime with him. Brothers and friends whose paths intertwined either by fate or design; a friendship was forged between them, a friendship across lifetimes.

End Part 2

FIN