Chapter 25: Recovering From Deep Wounds

SPYRO woke up confused, with a pounding headache, and numbness in his left arm. Around him, Cynder, Flame, Ember, and two Elder Dragons sat and watched as he finally came to. Spyro was trying to think of why he was here, and what had happened slowly came to his memory; the confrontation with Gnasty Gnork. He won, or at the minimum stopped his plan. Crash. Where was he? The last thing he could remember was being dragged out of Gnasty's castle, but he couldn't remember anything else. Sparks flew off Spyro's horn and landed on the opposite side of the bed and stared at him. His color was green, did that mean Sparx had healed him? That must have been it, for he could see the fatigue in Sparx's small face. He struggled to fly and was conserving energy. All the Dragons still stared at him as he finally pulled the covers off of his body and tried to stand up.

"Spyro!" Ember yelled as she came to embrace her love. "Whoa, take it easy, big guy. Just stay in bed and rest. You defiantly deserve it."

"I knew you were a show off, Spyro," Flame followed, "but single handedly defeating Gnasty and freeing all the Dragons in the Dragon Realms. I guess all that prophetic stuff wasn't a bunch of hot air, after all."

Spyro hadn't done it all by himself, though. The two Elder Dragons who were gathered at the back of the room looked at Flame suspiciously regarding his last comment, and then approached Spyro. Cynder still kept her distance.

"Spyro, when you're feeling better, the Elders wish to speak with you." The blue Elder dragon said. They both departed afterwards, and Spyro was left alone with his three friends. Spyro again attempted to get out of his bed, but Ember again told him to rest. Spyro felt weak, but persisted on getting up.

"Where's Crash?" Spyro said concernedly. Ember and Flame looked at him in bewilderment.

"Crash? Spyro, what are you talking about?" Ember responded as she again tucked him in. How could she not know who he was? Both he and Spyro had saved every Dragon's life.

"Flame, Ember, Spyro and I need to talk alone for a moment."

"What for?" Flame asked somewhat annoyed. "What, you guys going to start planning more things to do together?"

Ember looked at Cynder. "Why do you need to talk to him privately? And why can't we be here?"

Cynder became annoyed and was about to let Flame and Ember hear a piece of mind, but Spyro interrupted her and got to his four feet, though his front left arm still felt numb.

"It's okay Flame and Ember. I have some question for Cynder that I think only she can answer."

"But Spyro..." Ember responded.

"It's okay, Ember" Spyro responded. "Now if you two don't mind."

"Whatever," Flame retorted, "come on Ember, let's leave Spyro and his girlfriend alone. I'm sure they just want some alone time to make out."

Ember looked at Flame concernedly as they both walked out. Though Ember was sure that Flame was only being sarcastic, she still was worried in the back of her mind that Flame was right.

"Alright Cynder, where is Crash and why doesn't anyone seem to know who he is?" Spyro questioned Cynder as soon as Flame and Ember left his room.

"Look, Crash was still concerned about the other Dragons trying to capture him. So when you two arrived in Artisans in the middle of the night, he brought you here and found me. He told me to tell you to meet him at the beach if you made it. As far as the rest of Artisans is concerned, I found you at the Artisans' portal and brought you here. You didn't have a pulse when Spark finally came to. I thought you had died." Cynder actually showed a little emotion and it could be heard in her speech. "But somehow Sparx brought you back, though he doesn't look so good himself." Sparx still rested on one of the support beams to Spyro's bed. He looked at Spyro with a tiny smile on his face.

"Crash is a hero, Cynder. He's saved my life twice in the past three days. He shouldn't have to hide from us." Spyro said somewhat angrily.

"Crash doesn't know if you're alive or not. I think you should go seem him when you're all better."

Cynder's comment calmed him down. "Alright, let's go."

"Are you sure, you still don't seem like you're a hundred percent."

"I'll manage. Come on Sparx."

Sparx flew from his resting spot and landed on Spyro's back. Spyro opened his window, and both he and Cynder flew out and made their way to the beach.

"Hey! Where are they going?" Ember shrieked once she saw Spyro and Cynder flying in the air.

"Probably to a secluded spot so they can have some alone time" Flame said to add to Ember's concern.

"Shut up, Flame!" She yelled back irately. "Should we follow them?"

"And have Cynder yell at me? Pass, though you can go spy on them if you want, make sure nothing serious happens between them."

Ember looked at the floor.