Chapter 23: Confronting Gnasty Gnork

SPYRO and Crash flew towards a large castle which bordered Gnork Harbor. Earlier this morning, they followed a truck which had departed from Twilight Harbor, the shipyard they entered Gnasty's Realm from, and commandeered the car once it departed from the bay. Crash dropped from Spyro's back onto the truck and removed the surprised Gnork driving the car from it. Both he and Spyro used that car to travel through the Realm of the Gnorks inconspicuously. Most of the technology here was new to Spyro, so Crash explained most of it the best he could. They found a map in the glove compartment of the truck they were driving and used it to locate Gnasty's Castle. Aku-Aku began to inform Crash that they were getting closer to the source of entrapment spell. A short moment after that, the truck was ambushed by Gnorks. There cover was blown, but fending of the Gnorks didn't prove to be a challenge. Crash and Spyro flew the rest of the way, and soon approached Gnasty's fortress.

"This is it; Aku-Aku feels that the source of the entrapment spell is inside this castle." Crash told Spyro with is SAD as they landed a couple yards from the entrance.

"Gnasty most likely knows we're here. Are we really just going to knock on the front door?"

"Well, the way I see it, our priority will be to interrupt the Crystal Spell Gnasty is using. However, it seems as if the origin point of the spell is emanating from a living being, presumable Gnasty himself. So... we need to stop the spell I guess by defeating Gnasty, and deal with the other Gnorks in the castle."

"About Gnasty Gnork" Spyro said nervously. "The Elders said in their Council Meeting that Gnasty Gnork was never magically inclined, and that it is the Sorceress who has been aiding his assault on us Dragons. So there's a possibility she is here, and if so, she most likely will be too much for the both of us. I mean... she's been alive for over a thousand years, and banished my entire race to the Five Realms we live in now."

"The same person from your dream yesterday? You said she harnesses the power of the Gems, right?"

"Yes, she does exceptionally, according to the Elders."

Crash new all too well what Power Gems could do.

"It's because of those power gems that I was brought to the past you know. They were used as the power source for the machine that brought me here."

"Even a hundred thousand years into the future and those rocks are still causing problems."

"There also partially responsible for how Dr. Cortex created me. Also, when Aku-Aku was alive, he used the power gems to benefit his tribe. And it also sounded like you wielded the power of the Gems once when you were younger, too."

Spyro didn't particularly focus on that moment of his dream, when he unwillingly attacked the Sorceress to protect Ignitus, but how else was he able to do so without using the Power Gems?

"What are you getting at, Crash?"

"I'm saying you can do this, no matter the odds."

"You're damn right I can."

"Good, fly to the top of the castle and try to find Gnasty without drawing attention to yourself. I'm going to enter through the front and try to cause a distraction, making my way up to the top as I do. Once you find Gnasty... do what you have to."

"I will. And good luck, Crash."

Crash gave Spyro a "thumbs up" sign and made his way to the Castle, which Spyro looked at confusedly before laughing at the gestor. Spyro still didn't know what that sign meant. "And what was up with Crash's hands? They looked so much different than mine" Spyro thought. Crash was spotted entering the castle, but was able to get inside and deal with his pursuers. Spyro and Sparks took off and made their way to the top of the castle, entering through an unobstructed window. He made his way down the building, not entirely sure where Gnasty could be, but searched diligently, nonetheless. If Spyro knew his Dragon architecture, the throne room should be somewhere down this hall. It's strange just how similar this castle was to the one in the Peace Keepers Realm, and the other Castles in each of the other three Dragon Realms. Spyro came to a stop in front of a large door. He nudged it open and walked inside. This defiantly was the throne room, but Gnasty was nowhere in sight.

"Where is that ugly Gnork?" Spyro said to himself. Suddenly, the floor collapsed from underneath him and Spyro fell a couple of feet before hovering over the hole in the floor. Gnasty appeared below and chucked a large stone bolder at Spyro. It made contact, and sent Spyro plummeting the rest of the way to the ground. Spyro got up in pain from the collision, and stared at Gnasty. Something was off about him, he looked very different from other Gnorks. He was too tall, his skin was a dark Green, and he wore gold armor and carried a large golden club.

"Welcome, young Dragon, to the Realm of the Gnorks, the hellhole where all Gnorks reside. I see you've come to free all Dragons from their Crystal prisons. Your quest ends here, dead, as will all other Dragons."

"Keep dreaming ugly! I will make you pay for what you've done."

"What I've done is seek retribution for my people, and freed them from the oppression of Dragons. Gnork's will no longer be subordinates your kind, cause they will all be dead!"

Gnasty pointed his club at Spyro, and a beam flew out towards him. Spyro narrowly dogged it, and the rock it struck transformed to crystal. It hurt to move, for Spyro was injured after being struck with the massive rock. Gnasty ran towards Spyro and slammed his spiked mallet at Spyro, but Spyro took to the air to avoid it and unleashed a torrent of flames at the Gnork. Gnasty took his large hand, ignored the fire, and grabbed Spyro while he was still in the air. He crushed the helpless Dragon in his hand, before throwing him as hard as he could at the ground in front of him.

"I don't know how you evaded the Sorceress' Spell, but you're definitely too young and too weak to be a challenge. It's a shame that the Sorceress isn't here. I'd bet she'd enjoy seeing your entrails and blood squirt in all directions once I crush you under my boot."

Spyro got up slowly and watched as Gnasty came closer. Sparks rushed to Spyro's aid, but was flung back to the wall once Gnasty clapped his two hands together, sending the light Dragonfly into the wall behind.

"Sparx!" Spyro shouted. Sparx did not get up from the ground.

"Aww, did I hurt your best friend. I'll be sure to exterminate the pest once I'm done with you."

Anger consumed Spyro; this beast was not going to hurt another one of Spyro's family or friends ever again. Spyro charged as fast as he physically could towards Gnasty, and he raised his club to crush the Dragon. Gnasty slammed the club down, but Spyro vaulted to the right to dodge the impact, and redirected himself towards Gnasty from his right. Spyro's horn's pierced though Gnasty armor and punctured Gnasty chest. He recoiled back from the attack, screaming in pain as he did so. Spyro got himself dislodged from Gnasty's chest and unleashed another torrent of flame upon Gnasty's face, blinding him and causing intense pain. But Gnasty was able to strike Spyro with his club, and one of the spikes tore through clean threw Spyro's left arm. The impact sent Spyro falling to the ground with a huge puncture in his arm and made Spyro cringe and scream in agony. Gnasty had his left hand covering his face to do something to sooth the pain. He yelled out in anger as he slowly regained his vision.

"Damn you! Damn all Dragons to hell!" Gnasty charged at Spyro, and Spyro struggled to make a move. He flew up to avoid Gnasty's rage, and then barely avoided a laser beam from Gnasty's club. At this rate, Spyro wasn't going to make it much longer. But Spyro's anger kept him motivated. It scorched inside of him, an inferno that spurred him to continue. He breathed in deeply, and unleashed a downpour of fire onto Gnasty below. Gnasty was engulfed in Spyro's vastest and fiercest flame. Spyro then nose dived horns first and slammed into Gnasty's chest again, breaking his armor and causing him to let go of his club. Gnasty fell back and toppled to the ground, while Spyro took to the air again and landed a few feet in front of Gnasty. Spyro must have pierced one of Gnasty's lungs, for he struggled to breathe, while also being covered in serious burns. He couldn't get up, and Spyro also struggled to move. He was exhausted, loosing blood, and felt excruciating pain throughout his body. Gnasty began to morph, his size diminished and his skin became a lighter shade of green, similar to most Gnorks. His borrowed power had left him.

"You... think you've... won, Dragon? We... Gnorks will... never kneel to... Dragons..." Gnasty couldn't breathe enough to complete his sentences. He was dying too quickly.

"Yeah, well this is what happens when you attack a Dragon, you get burned. What you've done to us has left you in this state."

Spyro struggled to maintain consciousness. Though he didn't sound it, Spyro was close to passing out, possibly bleeding out, and Sparks couldn't help him. He collapsed to the ground and struggled to stay awake. Gnasty flipped over and grabbed his club. Given his current condition and lose of power, he struggled mightily to lift the club, but did so and crawled towards Spyro.

"With my dying... breathe, I kill the last Dragon."

Spyro started crawling back, but not fast enough. It hurt too much just to move. Spyro tried his flame breath, but he couldn't manage. He tried to stand up, but couldn't do so with because of his left leg.

Crash dropped in from the throne room and approached Gnasty. Gnasty looked at the orange creature and froze. He was about half of Gnasty's current size, but was perfectly able to deal with Gnasty in his current condition.

"Gnasty," Crash spoke using his SAD, "your magic received from the Sorceress has left you, along with the entrapment spell you used on all the Dragons. They're now free and are most likely dealing with your forces. You've lost."

"Im... impossible" Gnasty uttered as he collapsed to the ground and dropped his club. Crash walked past him and went over to Spyro.

"Where's Sparks?"

"He's over there next to that wall. He better be alive."

Crash walked over to where Spyro had pointed and picked up Sparks with his hands. Sparks wasn't emitting light, which was troubling. Crash felt Aku-Aku assess the Dragonfly.

"Sparx is alive," Crash reassured Spyro, "but he won't be up and active for a while."

"You haven't... won yet... Dragon" Gnasty said almost inaudibly. "The Sorceress... will kill... you."

"I'm looking forward to it, ugly." Spyro responded as he struggled to stand up.

"Come on, let's get out of here." Crash said using his SAD as he approached Spyro with Sparks still in his hands.

"But what about Gnasty?"

"I'm more concerned about you. There are hot air balloons near the back of this castle. We can use one to get to Twilight Harbor and enter the portal there to get back to Artisans."

"But..."

Crash lifted Spyro onto his shoulders, and then gently grabbed Spark's wing and carried the two of them to a back exit of the arena. Crash struggled to get them up the stairs, and then did the best he could to transport the two wounded friends without being spotted by other Gnorks. A trail of blood followed Crash, which dripped from Spyro's left arm. Crash finally made it outside and placed Spyro into the basked of a balloon and climbed aboard himself. He placed Sparks next to Spyro and started the steam engine. Spyro hadn't said anything in a while.

"Spyro, Spyro..." Crash said using his own voice as he nudged Spyro on his right shoulder. "Come on Sparx, Spyro needs you" Crash thought to himself as he looked over at Sparx. The balloon began to rise, just as a group of Gnorks appeared on the yard below. Crash had planned on using the balloon as an escape option once he spotted them, and had sabotaged all but one just in case Gnorks were aware he and Spyro planed on using one to escape and attempted to follow them. Crash checked Spyro for a pulse, and just barely felt one. He must have lost a lot of blood and now his blood pressure was too low. Sparx also remained out of commission, unable to heal his Spyro. Crash was going to lose another friend.