Chapter 12 || One, Two, Three

-

-

-

- Kai's POV -

-

"There's a fine line between stupid and Kai Dare," Iris said as we sat together, sheltered amongst thick green foliage, looking down at a huge expanse of emerald forest that touched the horizon and all that was beyond.

I nudged her. "Rude," I objected. The sun was falling across the sky as it gave way to the late hours; orange was starting to glow, lighting the forest up with a soft brilliance. "Besides, you're that line."

"Hilarious," she said, deadpan, but there was a gleam in her eyes that made me grin. The sunset deepened into an extraordinary radiance, staining the skyline with colours that hardly seemed real. We watched it with warm hearts, but as beautiful as it was, there were still questions yet to be answered.

I shuffled and glanced away from the open sky. "What should I do?" I asked, softly. I had told her about the starry woman in my dream - about the titles she'd blessed me with. Wielder. Guardian. Iris hadn't looked surprised, and I guess I couldn't blame her. I mean, everything was a bit weirder than usual, nowadays.

I could hear Gemma and Tali laughing from the foot of the tree. All of the house guests had joined the family for a trip to Folle Park, west of Cart, and although the day itself had been awesome, sitting beside Iris and watching the sun cascade out of view while streaking pink and orange and purple was special. Iris and I were settled in the leaves of the biggest tree we could find - we both loved high places. It was nice to sit with her without stress and anxiety of my uncertain future. We were simply . . . calm.

She sighed. "I don't know, Kai," she said, honestly and deeply. "I don't know."

I leant back against the foliage. "She was so strange, Rainbow - just really weird. And she said she knew Mum, too. I should ask Mum about it, but I don't - she mightn't - I dunno, it could makes things harder for her. She's already super worried about the Child."

"Yeah," Iris agreed. "We can handle this, whatever it is."

My smile was weak. "I hope so."

"We're both Wielders. We're powerful. We can stop a crazed ender-general easily - we can do it together."

I bit my lip to avoid a snark reply - yeah, totally, because last time turned out just spectacular - and instead reached out my hand to hold onto hers. She tensed briefly and then relaxed again, and the darkening sky lulled us into a blissful quiet - Gemma and Tali had stopped play-fighting below us, and the forest barely whispered. It was the most peaceful thing I'd seen in a long time.

Part of me knew that I wouldn't be seeing it again for a while. A large part. A realistic part.

But Iris and I sat, hands joined, wishing our problems away, as the sun descended and the sky faded into the dark hue of night.

I mean, we were only kids, right? We still had our wishes, if there was nothing else.

-

-

-

- Phoenix's POV -

-

Ember did not look happy with me. Although, did he ever?

"No," he stated, hard and firm. "No, you are not allowed to fight the General by yourself."

I groaned and slunk onto Kylie's couch. "You're not the boss of me," I protested. "Just 'cos -"