Chapter 8 || "Typical Kai, mucking things up."

-

-

-

- Ice's POV -

-

He collapsed. Right there on the desk, with everyone watching. I'd almost hit myself in the face. Apparently no one really knew what to do, because the class remained silent for three seconds until Mr Hayes rushed forwards to check if he was breathing.

Now we were in the first aid room, Kai unconscious on the bed, Nya on her way to pick him up. No one had protested when I'd followed him, not even the nurse. Xav, Scott, Eve, Zoe and Flora had come by during break or their free periods to check up on him. He'd been knocked out for three hours now, with no sign of snapping out of it.

When the nurse left the room, I touched his forehead with my hand, hoping for a temperature. Notch, Kai, you're burning up, I reflected, startled. He was way over normal, a fever so strong it made my fingers tingle when I pulled away. I tried to push away uncanny feelings of suspicion - eyes of fire, a burning fever - and put it all down to coincidence. Typical Kai, mucking things up.

There was a knock on the door, and when I flicked my head around to glance at who it was, with no intention to answer, I realised it was one of the new kids, the blond one, the one who'd smiled at Kai. I turned away. He knocked again.

With a huff, I got up and opened the door, fixing the boy with a glare. "Is your injury fatal?"

He looked pleasantly surprised at my arrival, and I had to hide my brief bout of confusion. Rarely was anyone pleasantly surprised to see me. "Hey," he greeted cheerily. "Iris, right?"

How does he know my name? "Ice," I corrected cooly. "Ice McKinnon."

He smiled. "Nice to meet you, Ice," he said, offering a hand. I shook it, returning his strong grip. An odd kid, I thought, but I kinda like him. He reminds me a bit of Kai. What I didn't like, however, was that he called me Iris. No one called me Iris except Nya, Zach and Tali. Kai had stuck with Rainbow.

When he let go, he looked over my shoulder. "Is he any better?"

"Yes," I lied. "He'll wake up soon. Best to leave him alone." Before I could shut the door, the boy - Phoenix, I remembered - spoke up again.

"Can I see him?" he asked, eyes clear and hopeful. And purple, like an Enderman's. I hated the reminder.

I gave him a blank look. "No. Sorry."

He cocked his head to the side. "C'mon, please?"

I wasn't used to being asked twice; usually my words were set in as hard as stone. My resolve crumbled pretty quickly when I realised that there wasn't much harm in letting him inside. What was the worst he could do, use a few too many bandages to wrap up Kai's face? That'd be funny more than anything. Maybe I needed to take the protectiveness down a notch.

So I opened the door wider and let him through. He strode over to where Kai lay, his face betraying slight pain even though he was oblivious to the world. To my horror, he was now shivering. His fever had gotten worse in minutes.

Phoenix reached down and pressed a hand to Kai's forehead, as I did beforehand. He cast a glance at me. "He doesn't look any better," he commented. I stood silently at the door.

Phoenix didn't remove his hand in a hurry, and my nails dug into my palms. I hated it, but it got on my nerves when people touched Kai, especially this boy who had smiled at him only a few hours ago. I'd noticed Kai's blush. Notch, everyone did. Even Zoe, who hadn't been in the class, knew about it. I betcha Kai's gonna crush on him next, she'd bet, leaning back on her seat while Flora fussed over Kai's condition. Zoe had always been the biggest gossiper of the group. I'd scowled.