Chapter 11 || Legend

-

-

-

- Iris's POV -

-

- a week after the attack.

-

Armed officers were stationary all throughout the school.

No one could seem to understand why a large-scale Endermen attack's aim was a schoolyard filled with children; absolutely no one could name the reason that caused Endermen, usually isolated, to work together. So, semi-permanent defense was placed within campus in case the event decided to occur again.

That night, reinforcements did eventually come, but in the end they were too late, because forty-seven students and five teachers all died that day.

Kylie Jacks hadn't been one.

That's why I was standing here, in front of my parents' grave, staring at my hands. The hands that brought breath back into the cold body of a dead girl.

The sky was clear again, and a warm glow spread across the graveyard, but it did nothing to make me feel any less cold. Emerald and Jonathan McKinnon, marked the gravestones. Gone before their time.

I stared at my hands again; that night, they had released golden powers that didn't only save Kylie. They also brought death to a man.

We'd been so flabbergasted over Kylie that we didn't realise that the soldier I brought in had died - he had been dying, true, but not quickly, and from a bloody wound - but that wasn't how he died. When Kai checked over the man, he didn't have any blood on him, not even from the injury that had been killing him. Instead, there were two golden bands around his wrists, like painted shackles.

It was then I figured out that I didn't just save Kylie; I also condemned a man. The powers required a cost. They required a trade. A life for a life.

Some privilege it was to be a Soul Wielder.

-

-

-

- Kai's POV -

-

Mum was standing beside me as we watched Iris from a distance as she stood over Emerald and Jonathan's tombstones. She was sagged and dreary, burdened by the knowledge of the school attack. Her eyes weren't as bright.

A woman I couldn't recognise from where I was with long brown hair and a sword strapped to her back approached Iris, and when she reached her they shared a hug. I was confused, but Mum had a smile on her face. She raced up to meet them both and I followed, confused.

As we got closer I realised who it was, and seeing her there made me light up in happiness. Mum and Gemma threw themselves into a hug, Iris dropping back beside me, a grin, although small, on her face.

Gemma was Mum's good friend, but we didn't get to see her often. She was part of the Individual Explorers of Minecraftia, and spent most of her days in complete wilderness; she was a celebrated expert in her career and rarely took breaks. Her sword was old and worn but tough, and so was she, eyes dark brown and unchanging from their knowledgeable gleam despite the fact that I could see some gray hairs on her head. Both Iris and I were taller than her, but she made up for her lack of height with skill.

"It's so good to see you," Mum said, smiling wide. "When was the last time? How are you? How's everything?"

Gemma held Mum's hands. "Notch, way too long ago, an odd eight years," she said, excited and joyful. "You haven't aged at all! And everything's good, I got a town named after me a few months ago. Redd Place. It's pretty nice, last time I checked. What about you? And Zach and Kai and Tali?"