Chapter 9 || A Black Cloud

(the above is an image of yours truly, being awesome, as usual. see the author's note for more details about my incredible radness.)

Chapter 9: A Black Cloud

-

-

-

- Kai's POV -

-

I'd stood in front of the fire, watching it destroy everything with a flaring passion so intense that not a single touch of the house was left unscathed.

The Fire Brigade had come with water to spare, and they had needed every drop of it to quench the flames. Tali looked on in horror, face silhouetted by an orange light, and Dad was holding her hand. Iris was still against the backdrop of a black, smokey haze.

I'd stood there for a long time.

Eventually, Mum had put her hand on my shoulder. "Kai," she'd said, softly, "I have a lot to tell you about."

"Do I happen have destructive fire powers, Mum?"

"You sure do."

Then she had explained the whole story, never skipping a beat with her words.

-

-

-

A week later, we were living in the potions store storage area. It wasn't fun.

Mum and Dad were busy looking for better residence, while Iris, Tali and I still had to go to school. I would've figured I could skip out on at least one day, ugh. No fair.

I grabbed my stuff and jumped out of the classroom as quick as possible, racing ahead despite the weight of homework-related stress to reach the Oak Tree before anyone else. Then I'd be able to snag a bench.

Once I'd reached there, though, Eve was stretched out across the wooden boards, taking up the whole seat from feet to head. "Oh, hey Kai," she said with a smile. "Sorry, no room for you today."

I groaned. "My house burnt down, Eve."

She raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, not hearing that excuse again. A burnt house is not related to a free bench. Anyway, do you what actually happened?"

"Spontaneous combustion of gun powder after it was left beside the furnace for some reason," I said quickly. Mum had told me to lie. "Plus, the furnace was cooking. Uh, it was cooking beef, I think. Well, I'm not sure, actually. It couldv'e been pork. Yeah, it probably was, last week was Tali's pick and Tali loves pork, so that makes sense." I froze. "Wait, none of this matters."

Eve laughed. "Good observation, dingbat."

Once Flora and Xav had joined us, Zoe had followed with Scott, and from the sound of it there was news to be learnt of.

"Guys, guess what?" she questioned, perked and wide-eyed. "Guess!"

"They announced an extravagant firework parade to commemorate my awesomeness," said Eve, staring up at the sky.

"Mrs Ylvis finally retired," answered Flora.

"You guys managed to realise that I'm better than all of you," Xav taunted.

"Xavier sucks," I said.

"I hate this game," Scott muttered.

Zoe waved all our wise offerings away with a wave. "No, no! It isn't good news. It's pretty crappy, actually."