Chapter 10 Part 1 || Storms and Purple Blood

Chapter 10 Part 1 || Storms and Purple Blood

-

-

- Kai's POV -

-

Mr Laywood stood up, eyes struck with deep concern. "All of you, line up orderly," he directed, but the panicked students hardly payed any notice. Half of them were already out of the door, racing down the hall and across the yard to reach Block Seven.

The old teacher gave up pretty quickly. "Everyone go, and I'll do a role call once we get there. Hurry up!"

June was scrambling to collect loose pieces of paper and stuff them into her backpack. Grabbing her wrist, I pulled her away from the desk. "Let's go!" I said, trying to keep my voice urgent but not scared. "We don't have time." Sirens still rang.

She looked down, then back at me, and nodded quickly. Together we pushed out of the door, Mr Laywood following behind us, the classroom left empty. The hall was flooded, but everyone was moving fast towards the open yard, where Block Seven, the biggest and most heavily built structure in the school lay, crammed with kids and teachers who waited inside whist the authorities moved in to supply defence. We'd done plenty of drills, all cautious and calm, but not serious or taken seriously; never had we thought it would actually come into play.

Once June and I got outside, rain pelting atop our heads, I spotted Flora struggling to help Isaac cross the grass, trying desperately to support his weight. He must've ditched his crutches in an effort to move quicker. "Run," I told June, and she did, sprinting along with the tide. Our school definitely wasn't small.

I reached Isaac and Flora and aided lifting the strain of his weight off her shoulders. "Never thought this would actually happen," I said through teeth gritted with effort.

Flora glanced up at me, green eyes darkened. "I couldn't see - what was it, exactly? What are we running from?"

I saw no reason to not tell the truth. "Endermen," I said. "Dozens of them."

Her expression turned distraught. "Oh, Notch."

We reached the steps of Block Seven with the last lot of kids, and Isaac thanked us heavily, before more teachers came to help him inside. Flora and I tailed his tracks to get under the shelter, the blasting echo of rain and thunder creating a deafening haze. The hall was crowded, and as were the classrooms inside the building itself, teachers screaming out across the panic for names, making sure everyone was there.

Turning to Flora, I admitted the worry that had pestered me the whole time we'd been running. "I can't see them anywhere."

She sagged. "I can't either."

"We'll both look." I pushed through student after student, and she followed, steps quickened with fear.

Suddenly, she froze, eyes alight with horror. "The P.E classes," she said.

I had to rise my voice into a yell to be heard. "What?"

"They don't have a siren."

I drew in a sharp breath. The pool and gym were across the otherside of campus, separated from everything else with a wide stretch of grass. It had no windows; it was thick-walled and soundproof, with a tall entrance, and Flora was right; it didn't have a siren. Whenever they scheduled drills, they made sure there were no classes in the gym.

They wouldn't know about anything.

Glancing around, I noticed two things: one, the teachers were too busy and panicked to focus on anything but their own class, and two, that Iris wasn't here. Her blue hair stood out anywhere.