forty-nine

And so we gathered our things.

Newt had been taking me everywhere with him, not because he was nervous this time though, it was because I was.

I couldn't lose him. Even though it has only been 7 months here, I'm positive I've never loved anyone more than him in my life.

So here we stood, 2 hours after we decided we would leave today, waiting as everyone mentally and physically prepared themselves for the long journey ahead.

Newt stood with me, our fingers laced together tightly when suddenly Gally arose from the group gathered at the maze entrance.

Even though the two of us didn't talk much, I knew Thomas didn't like him at all. Well it was more like Gally doesn't like Thomas so Thomas doesn't like him.

So whatever the hell he thought he was doing, everyone turned their attention to him.

"Alright everyone. I know you all think that Minho and Thomas and Alby think they've found a way out of here," Newt stiffened next to me and squeezed my hand tighter, "Who knows what could be out there? For all we know those shuck heads might be leading U.S. To our deaths by grievers!" He exclaimed exasperatedly looking at all of us with wide eyes. The boy looked liked he hadn't slept in days, his brown hair sticking out at all angles with dark bags under his eyes.

He looked insane.

Some looked more uneasy about the idea of running away now that he mentioned death by grievers while others looked just angry. Like Minho. He looked real angry.

"Gally shut your shuck face. We're going with or without you and that's finale." Minho deadpanned and Gally all but growled before turning and shoving his way through the crowd of gladers.

"Whoever wants to stay here and live can come over here. If you all are really going on a suicide mission then good luck. The glade is my home and I'm not leaving it." Gally announced glaring at Minho the whole time.

A few gladers, mostly the ones who had been stung by a griever, stood with Gally.

Thomas made eye contact with me before raising his eyebrows as if to ask 'Are you okay?', I just nodded in response and gave him a nervous smile before Alby's voice rang through our ears.

"Alright everyone, if you are coming we leave now! We fight together and we survive together!" He called and, oddly, cheers erupted from the crowd.

And that was all the motivation we needed.

We started our journey through the maze with Minho and Alby leading in the front and Thomas taking up the rear to make sure some of the slower gladers stayed with the group.

The familiar walls of the maze flew by me as we ran, I honestly don't even know how I ran with the baby but I managed. Minho was occasionally shouting motivating things to the group. (Well he thought they were motivational at least, they sounded more like threats to the rest of us though. "Wouldn't want to be eaten by a griever now would we?" Was probably the scariest.)

By the time we arrived at the cliff, the maze doors had already closed so it was do or die now.

Runners had thrown vines into the abyss in front of us as we stood at the cliff but oddly, they floated around an invisible pipe like structure about 5 feet in front of us.

"If we can make it into that pipe where the vines are, I think we'll be out of here." Minho announced to the group as the all to familiar clicks and whirls of a griever came within earshot.

That's when chaos broke out.

Gladers started screaming and jumped at the invisible pipe, everyone of them missing it and falling into the abyss below.

"We'll fight to the death if we have too! Everyone brace yourselves and whatever you do," Minho yelled over the crowds noise, "Let Thomas, Tide and Newt get through!" He yelled as a familiar calloused hand grabbed my arm pulling me through the crowd and to the edge of the cliff.

Thomas looked down at me, "I'll go first, you come right after and Newt will come right after you alright?" He told me as the whirls, clicks, screams and howls got louder as the griever came towards the cliff.

"Okay, I'll see you in there." I said to my brother before he jumped off the edge of the cliff.

My breath caught in my throat as he nearly missed the tube but grabbed on at the last second and pulled himself through.

It was my turn. I had to jump.

"I'll be right behind you." Newt's voice rang through my head and I turned to look up at him pressing my lips to his quickly knowing all to well that could be the last time I saw him.

"Go, I'll be right there." He said quickly and I nodded taking a deep breath and cleared my mind of any thoughts except for Newt's voice and I jumped.

I didn't miss the tube, I grabbed the top of it with my fingers letting myself hang from it though and nearly fell to my death but I wasn't about to let Newt suffer through that and I had a baby to care for.

I wrapped my legs around the invisible tube, thankfully it wasn't to wide, and pulled myself up and into the blackness.