twenty-six

As soon as Minho and I started running, the free feeling of running was with us both.

Only stopping a few times to take notes, we were quickly halfway through our section when things got difficult.

"Tide back up." Minho hissed as we were about to turn yet another corner of the never ending maze.

"What?" I questioned confused as I complied, stepping back against the vine covered walls.

"Slim it and sit down." He hissed as an all too familiar sound of whirring and clicking started to near us.

Grievers.

Nodding, I slid down against the wall crouching in case he had intentions of actually running away from the grievers rather than waiting for them to eat us alive.

"When I say so I want you to run like your life depends on it, because it does." He whisper, hissed to me not waiting for a response before he turned back listening à for a few more moments.

"Go." He hissed and the two of us were off, my lungs were on fire as we twisted and turned through the maze. The screeches of Grievers only growing louder as we ran.

The doors were shaking, the sun setting, as he neared the glade. Gladers were gathered around the entrance as the doors moved closer threatening to trap us in for the night.

20 feet.

15 feet.

Only a few more steps.

10 feet.

5 feet.

My lungs burned for air more than ever.

3 feet.

And I squeezed through, Minho just behind me.