Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Annabelle

"Oh my god, Ali! Hi! YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND!" Über-popular Lorena gushes. Ali smiles painfully at Lorena, who doesn't take the hint. She gives Ali a big huge, "SO, HOW'S IT GOING WITH..." she drops her voice dramatically and wiggles her eyebrows the best she can, which is a fail, "You and LOGAN?" Logan used to have a huge crush on Lorena, but after she blew him off a couple times and he learned that Ali liked him, he started to like her, and they started going out... at least in a 7th grade sense of "going out".

"Umm... fine." Ali says awkwardly.

"That's GREAT!" She smiles and runs off again. Ali makes a retching noise in her throat and groans,

"Why meeee?"

"Because I think after she knew that Logan liked you, she got JEALOUS!" Mabel grins, "Haha. Anyways, that's what she does, her mentioning Logan always brings up the fact that they used to go out."

"Yeah, right." Ali snorts, "Okay, um... UM... let's DO something?"

"Like go with you to stare at Logan so it doesn't look like you're stalking him?" I ask her, trying to make her frustrated.

"Shut uuup!" Ali yells, and everyone around us stares at her.

Oh well. "Fine..." I say, "I'll do it with you."

"Never mind." Ali tells me.

The bell rings.

* * *

At lunch, I eat the fastest I have in a while. It's just so good! And I'm so hungry... What we have today is pasta and tomato sauce and pasta and pesto, so I took a little of each! Food is good. I take another sip of my water and get half of my pasta stolen by Mabel. "MABEL!" I shriek. Loudly.

"Yes?" She asks, looking angelic.

"Ugh. You suck."

"I know riiiiiight!" She smiles and steals more pasta, but I grab my fork back as she goes in for a third steal.

"Myyy luuunch!" I inform her, and point to my plate, "YOOOUR LUUUUNCH!" I screech and point to her sandwich she brought from home.

"But I don't LIKE my lunch!"

"Suck it up." Ali says and eats some of HER pasta.

"I hate you." Mabel pouts and sticks her finger into her sandwich, watching the bread bounce up... well, not bounce, just... swell up again.

"Yup. Always glad to help." Ali grins and continues eating her pasta.

I finish my lunch and go over to the trash can. I throw my whole plate in, including the metal fork. Ooops. Whoops. Whatever.

I start to walk back to the table, when I hear, "ANNABELLE! GET OVER HERE!" I wince visibly and slowly pivot back to the trash cans.

"Yes?"

"YOU THREW A FORK IN THE TRASH CAN!" Says the lunch lady.

"I did?" I ask innocently, "Really?"

"YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE!"

"I'll take it out." I say, and pinch up my face as I lean in and grab the fork, now covered in someone's nasty, clumpy yogurt.

"Good." She says, "Put it in the sink." I put it in the sink and walk away. EWWWW.

"That was an interesting spectacle over there." Mabel says, eyeing me, "If you had given me some pasta, I would have volunteered very graciously to put the plate away for you and you would not have had to reach into the nasty trash can."

"But I didn't do that."

"No, you didn't." Mabel agrees, "And you got BAD KARMA!!!!!!"

I roll my eyes, "Yeah, RIGHT." I push my chair back from the table to go wash my hands off, then I slip in a puddle of milk.

"NIAGARA FALLS!" Someone yells, which is code for: my milk container just tipped over and now it is pouring down the sides of the table, a lot of it, so we need a mop.

I'm am sitting in milk on the cafeteria floor.

"Karma." Mabel says calmly.

"Shut. Up. Not. Karma. IT DOESN'T RULE MY LIFE!"

"Yeah it does."

I get up slowly and run into the bathroom. It's more than disgusting to have to take my pants off and wring milk out of them into the toilet. (I closed the door first). They get drier ish, but when I put them back on, they're still nasty and wet - well, dampish, but still... Ugh. Whatever, I'll live. They'll dry. I put them back on, wash my hands off because the garbage can was disgusting, and walk out of the bathroom. I fix my eyes on Mabel's hysterically laughing face and frown at her, mouthing, "NO KARMA !" She just keeps laughing.

That's when it gets... worse. I'm still staring at her, and I pretty much walk. Straight. Into. Chase. I stare up into his grinning face - no, I don't stare up... I look a little bit down, actually, so it's even more awkward for me. Oh dear.

"Hi." He says.

"Hellooo..." I say, blushing furiously.

"Quite a scene you made back there." He tells me.

"Well, I try." I joke. No I don't. It was all... KARMA. Gasp.

"Looked like it hurt when you fell backwards." He informs me.

"Not that much." And now he will take me in his arms and declare his undying love for me!

"Well, see you around." Chase walks away. Darn it. FATE HATES ME AND BAD KARMA HAS TAKEN OVER MY LIFE!