~ one ~

"Welcome Home"

Spain x Philippines

》Story Starts《

It was already night time at the Spaniard's household. All was asleep, except for Spain himself and his new colony.

The said colony was represented by a young girl that looked like she was in her early years, 5-6 years old, perhaps.

Spain uttered no words as he walked down the hallways of his house, the young girl following him closely behind. She, too, didn't speak; for her thoughts were far away.

Her eyes were fixated on the floor beneath her, watching her feet as it carried her body around this massive home. Ever so often she would look up to make sure she was still following him, for it was not her intention to be lost with no sense of direction what-so-ever, especially in a house this huge and gigantic.

She remembered her old home, a simple bahay kubo made of wood that seemed like nothing to this massion made of stone and concrete. Maybe my whole house is only the size of a room here, maybe even smaller! She thought.

She disconnected her eyes from its gaze on the floor to look around what they were passing. The hallways were decorated with a bunch of paintings hung on the wall on both sides.

Wow! She thought. Maybe someday my house could also be like this.

- - - - -

Soon, Spain stopped in front of a door, and so did the little girl.

"You're room is still not finished. You wouldn't mind sharing one with Romano for tonight, sí?" He asked, looking at the girl. She shook her head 'no' in response.

He smiled at her, flashing his white teeth. He opened the door and led her inside.

The room was dark. The only source of illumination was the rays of moonlight entering the room through the transparent windows. A figure, who she assumed to be the one named Romano who was mentioned by Spain a couple of times, lay down the bed at the right side of the room, clearly in a deep sleep.

"See you tomorrow. Good night, Filipinas." Spain said, patting her dark hair. As he walked back to the door, he heard her whisper, "Good night po, Espanya."

He turned around and gave her another smile, one that she replied to with a small, shy smile of her own. This caused his smile to widen. It was the very first time the small, young girl smiled at him.

After that, he exited the room, carefully closing the door behind him as to not wake the young Romano up.

When the door closed, Filipinas made her way to the other side of the room, where another unoccupied bed stood.

She carefully climbed up the bed and lay down on the soft mattress which brought a whole new feeling for her, as she was more used to sleeping on a banig.

Filipinas lay there still for a few moments, until she was finally able to lull herself to sleep through humming the tune of a lullaby she often sung to herself.

A smile on her face never left as she fell asleep, remembering the words the Spaniard said to her when they arrived at the front of his house.

"Bienvenido a casa."

Welcome home.

》Story Ends《

First things first I'm a re- NOPE.

But really, first things first, the country of the Philippines in this one shot is called Filipinas.

Why?

When Spain colonized the Philippines, a few of its islands (Leyte and Samar) was called Felipinas (given by Ruy López de Villalobos, after the Prince of Asturias at that time), though eventually, Las Islas Filipinas (after King Philip II of Spain) was used to refer to the whole Philippines.

I'll stop there before this becomes a history lesson about Spain and the Philippines.

And about the banig and bahay kubo. Bahay kubo is a kinda like a hut while a banig is a mat made from woven bule or pandan leaves.

I may or may not make a part two where Romano meets Pilipinas~.

This is all for now.

Hanggang sa muli, aking mga kaibigan!