Chapter 10

We rode around town on our bikes for a while.  Leo took me to the park.  The park was really beautiful, and the day made it even better.  The park was basically a square in the center of the town.  It had gardens all over the place, and had sidewalks.  It kind of reminded me of a maze. 

The town was pretty small.  It had one super market, an ice cream shop, a bakery, a post office, a small hospital, a veterinarian, a dentists office, a theatre, a McDonalds, a Taco Bell, and a library.  It also had a public pool behind the park.  I found out that there was only one public school for all the grades.

We were walking around the park when two girls came up to us.  Both of them were very pretty and tall.  One was a blonde and the other was a brunette.  The blonde haired girl had blue eyes and had shoulder length hair.  The brunette haired girl had long and straight hair.  Her eyes were almost black.  They looked like the type of girls that were very popular at school.  I disliked them right away.  They had something that just looked evil.

"Hey Leo," they both said.

"Hey Gaby and Myra," Leo replied.

"What are you doing in town today?" asked the brunette who I'm guessing her name was Gaby.  They didn't pay any attention to me.

"I was just giving, Opal," he pointed to me,"a tour of the town."

The girls finally notice me.  They look me up and down.  I hadn't actually dressed up that day.  I mean who does?  Its summer!  I was wearing a t-shirt with shorts.  Gaby was wearing a dress and Myra was wearing a skirt and a cute top.

"Oh hi there.  Are you new in town?" Myra asked.  I was sure that she was just trying to look nice in front of Leo.  It seemed true that she didn't like me.  She looked at me with a kind of distasteful look.

"Yeah. I just moved here two days ago,"  I said.

"Oh. Where are you living by?" Gaby asked.

"She just moved into the house where Taylor used to live," Leo answered for me.

"Oh so she's your neighbor then?" Myra said.

"Yeah you can put it that way."

"Cool." Gaby said.

"Yeah.  Um Opal, this is Gaby and Myra," Leo says.  Finally introducing them to me.  "They are also on the swimming team."

This last statement got them a little mad.  The look on their face told me.  "Oh so you signed up for the swimming team?"  Myra asked.

"Yeah.  I'll be starting tomorrow."

"Thats cool.  So your name is Opal?" Gaby asked.

"Yeah."

"Opal... Like the gem?" Myra asked incredulously.

That made Leo grin.  He answered, "Yeah like the gem."

"Oh.  Thats a rare gem.  Did you know that?" Gaby put in.

"Yeah actually I did."

"Of course you know all about your name.  Where do you come from anyway?" asked Gaby.

"I used to live in Lincolnville."

"Oh.  Why did you move?"  Myra asked.

"My parents thought it would be good to move.  Change the sight for my siblings and I."

"Oh," they said together.

"Well ladies... Its been nice seeing you.  But we need to get going.  I promised Opal's mom I'll get her back before three," says Leo. That was a lie, but I think Leo was just as anxious as I to get away from them.