Chapter 5

I woke up to the sound of birds outside my window. It sounded like a beautiful melody being sung by a choir of angels. It was a beautiful morning, and then I realized that my sister was sleeping peacefully next to me.

She usually comes into my room at night if she gets scared. I remember that it had started to thunder the night before. She probably got scared over the loud noise. I would not be surprised. Back at old home(I have started calling it that) she would always come in at night. She's such a scaredy cat.

I got up and walk over to the window. It was nine o'clock and I was already up. Wow! I usually wake up around ten. Somehow not today.

I go downstairs and find Reu at the table. He's always the earliest to wake up. He was eating coffee with some toast. He was reading something. I know it wasn't the newspaper, though.

"Hey Gem," he says. Gem is his pet name for me. Since my name is Opal, and opal is a rare gem... See where I'm getting at?

"Hey," I reply.

"Why you up so early? Didn't sleep well?" He asks.

"I slept well. Must be the weird surroundings that I'm not used to," I reply.

"Yeah I guess that would be a reason," he admitted.

"Are you almost done unpacking?"

"No not yet are you?"

"Yeah I'm almost done."

"Well then what are you going to do today, when you are done?"

"I don't know. Maybe look around." I was planning to look around the house today.

"Has May finished?"

"I think she still has some stuff to hang up. You remember how full of posters her room had been back in Lincolnville."

"Yeah I remember. I had thought that she would finish hanging all that stuff up in a month."

"Well, all she did yesterday was hanging and arranging her furniture. So today she needs to finish hanging. What are you going to do today?"

"Oh I just need to finish out in the yard. The lawn mower will be coming today."

Some stuff had still not arrived from our old house. For example the lawn mower, stove, and the four-wheeler.

"Oh. What about Jackson's room?" I continue to ask.

"Your mother will be working on the that today. She will also be hanging up those home decors around the house. Did you like going into town yesterday?"

"Yeah it seems like a good town. Its small, but its really cool."

"Did you know that there is a swimming team in the summer."

"Really?!" I exclaim.

That caught my attention. I love swimming. Swimming is my passion. I've been swimming ever since I was five. Back in Lincolnville, I was on the town's swimming team. It was probably the best part of my life there.

"Yeah if you want I can go sign you up for it. Would you like that?" He asked.

"Absolutely!" I agreed.

At that moment Nelly comes in. "Absolutely what?" she asked.

"Good morning Nelly. I was just telling Gem that I will sign her up for the swimming team," Rue says.

"Oh what a wonderful idea," Nelly responds.

May and Jackson come down the stairs at the same time. "Hello everyone," Jackson greets.