Tears

Two days had passed, and although my unpleasant aching head had improved greatly, I was still bed-ridden.

I hated being stuck in one place. Steve wanted to stay by my side (and also keep Zach away from me - those two really didn't like each other) but problems kept arising. Zach tried hard but he couldn't get enough food and resources for three people. So Steve spent less and less time with me, which we both and I hated.

That night, I had a nightmare; a pair of empty glowing eyes had been haunting me for weeks now. I was afraid to go to sleep. I had only one sleep without nightmares, and I have no idea why that happened. Every other time, I wake up, sweat rolling of my forehead in waves, breathing heavily. I try to calm myself down; Nya, it was a dream, I tell myself. A dream can't hurt you. Dreams aren't real. You know that. Don't be a coward.

I winced. Don't be a coward; That's what my father had said to me before the IEM dropped me off in this wilderness. He grabbed my shoulders and shook me with too much harshness to be affectionate, saying "No child of mine is a coward. You got that, Nya? Die if you have to, just don't ruin our family name and don't be a coward."

Those words had haunted me more than any scary dreams.

I heard a creak from in front of me. I shot up, prepared for whatever danger lat before me. Who knows? A skeleton? A zombie? I gulped. A creeper? I only had my bare hands. How could I fight a creeper?

The movement became louder, closer. The torch next to me illuminated a human's face; Zach.

I sighed. I would've preferred a creeper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zach's POV:

At first, she looked scared. The darkness that concealed me didn't help, either. I could literally smell her fear.

But as I walked closer, the light of the torch near her bedside made me a lot more seeable. I heard her sigh.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked tentatively. Even from my bed, across the other side of the treehouse, I could hear her tossing and turning and murmuring in her sleep. She sounded so afraid, I had to ask her.

"Um, hey, Zach. I'm fine," she replied, turning in the bed so face didn't face mine. I shrugged. It must be normal. I was about to go back to my bed when I heard her sniff. What was wrong?

Quietly as I could, without the floorboards creaking, I walked towards her. As I got closer, the sniffing became clearer. Holy Notch, what was going on?

I eventually reached her bedside, and placed a block for me to sit on, as I did, she noticed my presence. But she didn't seem to mind much, just pull the covers up further, covering her face.

"Nya, what's wrong? Speak to me,." I quietly begged her, desperate to help. She didn't reply.

I gently pulled down the covers, so I could see her face. She was still facing the other way. I touched one of her shoulders. She flinched and pulled away. Gentler, I touched her shoulder again, and carefully rolled her over so I could see her face.

Her large blue eyes were squeezed shut, but I could see the tear streaks down her cheeks. She sniffed and tried to pull away, but I gripped her tighter.

"Oh geez, Nya, what's wrong? C'mon, you can talk to me. I won't tell anyone, and I'll listen and help you, I swear. Just please tell me why your crying." 

I whispered to her. Her blue eyes opened, shiny from the tears.

And she did something no one, especially me, would expect.

She leaped up and hugged me.