Chapter 4

EDITED.

(Zeke's POV):

I wake up to the irksome beeping of my alarm clock. My balled fist slams down onto the clock, and the screen separates from the back of the contraption. This impact also results in two batteries being sent flying across the bedroom. They hit the dull blue wall across from the bed and then roll onto the dark wooden flooring. I don't want the noise of the clock to wake Avery, but I guess I hit the clock far harder than required to reach silence. Glancing down at Avery, I find that she is huddled into my chest. She likely did this during her sleep and is unaware of how she nuzzled herself into me. Her position pleases me though. She appears to finds protection in my arms now, rather than feeling fearful and submissive from my touch. She looks so innocent and peaceful in this position.

I stroke my fingers on her face. Her skin feels warm and smooth against my fingers. So delicate. She's so beautiful. With every time I run my fingers across her glowing skin, the sparks erupt through my hands. Every single stroke causes a rush of delight to course through me, and I notice a similar shiver come from Avery as she sleeps. The feeling of these sparks is definitely something I could get used to. 

I savor the moment for a brief while longer until I start to feel Avery wiggle in my arms. Her eyes flutter open, and she turns to face me. She flashes me a sleepy morning smile and takes hold of my hand, which previously rested upon the small of her back. She pulls my hand closer to her line of vision, playing with my fingers. It's a relaxing moment.

I notice she turns to look at the clock mounted on the wall above my doorway. It reads 6:45.  

"We should get ready for school." She mumbles, and gently lets go of my hand. I lift up the covers and she removes herself from the warm bed, facing away from me. She stretches her arms to the ceiling, and stands on her tippy toes. She looks extremely tiny in my clothing, but it makes me happy to see her in my shirt and sweat pants. Letting out a quiet sigh, her arms return to her sides, and a soft yawn follows. She looks so damn cute right now. Things are going off to a good start with the two of us it seems.

My wolf is going crazy now, and so am I. 

"You can shower first," I say when she turns towards me as I begin to rise from the bed as well. 

She nods and heads to my bathroom. 

"Wait, do you have something to wear?" I ask. 

She nods again and says, "I have some extra clothes in my backpack." She reaches for her bag from the end of my bed and heads  to the spacious bathroom.

~~~

When Avery finishes her shower, she exits the bathroom wearing a pair of yoga pants and a sweatshirt. Her hair is pulled up into a simple ponytail, but she still looks incredible. Her face is free of makeup, and her smooth skin still calls for me to caress it once again.

"I made some breakfast for you," I state as I grab my things to take my shower. "It's downstairs on the table.

While I take my shower, I think about how big of a pain today is going to be. I'm really dreading today because Veronica is going to be bugging me.

She's some stupid Junior who thinks I'm her mate. But she's wrong. I don't have the slightest attraction to her, but she obviously does to me. I'm ashamed to admit I did give into her a few times, and we slept together. She could never compare to Avery though, and I just met her.

Veronica likely has hopes that my mate will die and she'll have a shot at being my second chance mate because she so badly desires the luna position. 

I fear that she will ruin everything I just patched up with Avery yesterday. The trust we built with one another. The bond that formed between the two of us. I know I'm done with my days of sleeping around with different girls every night, but Veronica could definitely spill the beans to Avery about all of it.