Chapter 3

EDITED.

(Avery's POV):

I sit on the couch still looking deep into Zeke's eyes. I just met him, but I can feel like I know him on a deeper level. Like I know something deep about him. I feel more comfortable with him now, but I'm still afraid to see his wolf again. It may have just been the initial anger at the boy in the classroom that drove his wolf to force his affection onto me, but I'm still not ready to talk to his wolf. My wolf is even slightly apprehensive about seeing him again.

Eventually, the peaceful silence was sliced when we began to ask questions back and forth. I am beginning to trust him more.

"What's your favorite color?" He asks.

"Grey." I answer. "Not a dark grey but a creamy lighter grey. What's your favorite animal?"

He snorts before responding. "Easy one. Wolf."

I roll my eyes. Typical arrogant answer.

We go back and forth like his for a while, and I can feel the mating bond strengthening between us. With each answer I give to his questions, his green eyes shimmer with delight. Like each time I speak, it brings him joy that I'm opening up to him. But each question he asks about my past, I dodge and change the subject. I'm not ready for anyone else to know that. How I was too weak to save myself for him.

Suddenly, we stop asking questions. The silence absorbs us, and Zeke starts to lean into me much closer. My wolf is telling me to move into him also, but I shush her. She whimpers, but Zeke does all the work for her. He sits so close, his face is nearly inches from mine. I can feel his warm breath on my cheek, and he looks deep into my eyes, as if asking for permission. I give a slight nod, and he closes the gap between us. His soft lips mold against mine, and he rests a hand on my leg. I gently bring one hand to his black hair, running it through lightly. This wasn't a kiss like earlier. This wasn't a forced kiss of wild adrenaline coursing through Zeke's veins. This was a kiss of sweet passion and care for another person. This was a kiss from Zeke, not his wolf.

My wolf purrs, and ever so slowly, our lips drift apart.

Did you know, that when two people kiss, you can find their DNA in your mouth, years later, just from that one kiss? As weird as it sounds, I'm proud now, to have Zeke's DNA in my mouth. Gosh, that's just too weird.

I feel happy now. I feel safe with Zeke. I feel like he will protect me from my past. That things are going to go better from now on.

(Zeke's POV):

Considering how awfully the first kiss I had with Avery was, the second was perfect. Because it was me in control. Because she wanted me to kiss her. Because she wasn't being forced. It couldn't have been better.

"Avery, do you want to stay the night here?" I ask, breaking the peaceful silence.

She sits for a moment, thinking to herself. She then nods, and shyly whispers, "yes." Avery then walks off to the kitchen with her phone out, dialing a number. I hear her talking with her angelic like voice to a parent most likely, over the phone.

"Bye," she says, then hangs up her phone.

She returns to my side on the couch, saying "My mom says I can stay, as long as we don't skip school anymore." She says. I cringe slightly. She'll have to get used to skipping school. I do it more than half of the school year for alpha business, and there's no way she's going to school with the new rogue issue and all those other guys when I'm not there with her.

Especially Mac, my beta. He doesn't have his mate yet, and after his stunt he pulled earlier with the wolf whistle and whispering something I'd rather not mention, I should kick him out of the pack or even beat him to death. You never speak that way to your alpha about his mate. Despite the fact that Mac was unaware that Avery's my mate at the time, it's considered a general rule that you simply don't do that around an alpha who is mateless at the given time. He should know better of all people.