Chapter 14 - That Touch

Start from the beginning

                My gut twisted. Ugh. Parents. I sucked in, the skin on my forehead folding. “They’re in London.”

                Zach’s eyebrows came together, concern spreading across his face. “And they left you home alone?”

                I shook my head. “No, Uncle Jesse stays with me… he’s just not really around often.”

                Zach pressed his lips together, pushing them to one side. “Is it hard being here by yourself?”

                “I’m used it now.” I inhaled and then shrugged. “But you were right,” I smiled, attempting to ease up the tension, “Parents can be pretty ridiculous sometimes.”

                He chuckled again, except this time roughness began to settle back in his throat. My thoughts jumped back to the cough syrup. I held up the bottle, frowning apologetically. “We don’t have any more left.”

                Zach grimaced playfully. “Ah, Jess, I carry you all the way to your room and you don’t even have medicine for me?” He asked, faking a sad expression.

                Although he was joking, guilt washed over me. After all, I was the one who got him sick. I bit my lip again, “Sorry…”

                “I’m kidding, you dork,” he responded quickly, ruffling my hair as he passed by.

                “Where you going?” I questioned, my stupid head already tingling from his touch. I watched him pick up his keys from the counter.

                “To the store, we need medicine don’t we?” He grinned, giving me the ‘duh’ expression.

                “We?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

                “Jess,” he said, making me turn away from the counter to look at him.

                “Yeah—”

                Suddenly, a pillow from the sofa in the living room came flying at my shoulder.

                “Wake up,” Zach asserted, smirking as he walked towards the front door.

                My mouth dropped. Really? What was he… five?

                “I’ll be back in ten,” he yelled through the closing door.

***

                “Crap, I forgot my shirt,” I moaned at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. I had promised myself to take a quick shower before Zach got back and in that rush, I had grabbed my shorts but I forgotten my shirt completely. I sighed, “I’m such a mindless person.”

                Shrugging it off, I grabbed my towel to cover myself; he’s not going to be back this soon but just in case. I clicked the door open, dragging myself back to my room.

                “Hey, sunshine. Forgetting something?” a familiar voice boomed, forcing me to spin around.

                My eyes widened at the sight of Will. What was he doing here?! I stood in place shocked for a few second, until I finally came back to my senses. “What are you doing here, Will?” I muttered, attempting to hide my fear with annoyance dripping from each word.

                A smirk grew on his face as he slowly inched towards me, gawking at my exposed body menacingly.

                My skin began to crawl. “W-what are you doing,” I stuttered in apprehension, moving back slowly. I hadn’t ever been scared of him, but his expression was so unnerving that I couldn’t help but be frightened. Letting my nerves get the best of me, I jerked, trying to head for the stairs.