Chapter 22

(Ezra pov)

I head up the ramp to where Jessie went. I hear Kanan ask, "Where's he going?"
Then I hear Hera's voice stop him. "Just let him go, love."
I smile and thank the stars for Hera, then continue up the ramp and into the Ghost.

I find Jessie in the Phantom, just looking out at the stars.
"Move over," I say and sit down next to her in the pilot's seat. She smiles faintly.
"I'm sorry," I say.
"It's not your fault." She says.
I put an arm around her shoulders.
"I just...I can't believe that she's gone," A tear slides down her cheek. "All my life, Larissa was always with me. And now-I'm alone."
"But you're not alone," I say, turning her to face me. "You've got me now, and the crew. And the Jedi have a saying: There is no death; there is the Force."
She nods. "That's a good saying." She smiles lightly. "The Jedi have a lot of good sayings."
"Yeah, except for the one where Jedi can't fall in love. That's just dumb," I say.
She looks me in the eyes. Geez, she's not afraid of much. "Ezra, did you mean what you said? Back when we were captured? That you loved me?"
"Of course!" I'm surprised that she had doubts. "I meant it 100 percent."
"Good. 'Cause I feel the same way." And then she kisses me.
Surprised, I smile. I feel her do the same.

When we break apart, I ask the question that I've been wanting to ask for days now. "Jessie, will you be...will you be mine?"
She grins. "How's this for an answer?"
And her lips are on mine again. We both smile again.

Maybe Larissa is gone. Maybe the Inquisitor and Darth Vader are still out there, and maybe they won't stop trying to kill us. But now I've got Jessie to watch my back. At the moment, it's hard to picture life getting any better.

(Darth Vader pov)

I call the Inquisitor to my office through the Force. When he arrives, I turn my helmeted gaze on him. He bows. "Lord Vader."
"The Padawan escaped again." I say.
"Yes, my Lord. But we have a secret weapon. The key to his undoing."
"The girl." I say simply.
"Yes. Once we have her, we will have the Padawan. Will we keep her alive?" he inquires.
I have given much thought to this. "If she will join us, yes. If not, we will kill her-and bring the boy to his knees."
"Yes, my Lord. I will begin preparations for the girl's capture at once."
I nod. The Inquisitor begins to leave, but I stop him. "Inquisitor?"
The Pau'uan turns. "Yes, my Lord?" He asks.
"Any word on the...situation?"
He shakes his head. "She has disappeared. But we will find her."
"Good. Agent Kallus cannot be distracted by the loss of her. I need him to help us capture the Padawan's lover."
"My Lord, do not worry. The younger Kallus will not escape us for long." He bows and leaves.
I turn my attention to my desk and kneel as a hologram of Emperor Palpatine appears.
"Rise, Lord Vader."
I obey. "My Master, the Padawan has escaped us again. But we have a way to find him."
"Good," Darth Sidious smiles evilly. "Soon, he will join us, and become a powerful asset to our battle against these rebels. See to it that he does not escape, Lord Vader. He is far too powerful to remain on the loose."
"Yes, my Master." I bow as the hologram disappears. I turn and look out the window displaying Capital City.
You cannot hide, Ezra Bridger. I will find you-and you will join us. Whether you want to or not.