Chapter Two - New Fresh Air For New Fresh Life

Start from the beginning

“Then it’s my leave.”

    The conversation ended with the thump of the door. It sounded like not far away from where I’m lying.

    I’ve been shutting my eyes and hearing the whole conversation between two men. It felt like they’re talking about me.

    I was out because of poverty? I can’t keep shutting my eyes off and lying here forever. I need food. I breathe in a deep breath. It’s time to face my shame.

    “You awake.” A familiar voice state the obvious statement. I already sit up straight and search the source of the yummy smell.

    Next thing, I spotted a perfect meal in front of me – that been place on the rectangle glass table. I gulped and hoping I was allowed to dive in those delicious bread, cupcakes and many kinds of muffins. I look back to a man who sit opposite me, he shrug than look away; totally allowed me to touch those heavenly foods.

    “Where am I?” I asked while my mouth full of muffins. I don’t care even it looked immoral from his eyes; I’m going to leave this place soon.

    While eating, my eyes wander around the place. It’s big but smells homely. Different from my apartment, it’s felt empty.

    “My home.” He said and I felt his burning stare on me. I know he’s not angry, it felt like he tried to figured out who am I. I gulped a whole glass of milk on the tray.

    “Thank you -” I finally said. “- for not sending me to police and for saving my life.” I said truthfully. I was placing the plate back to the tray and ready to go. Before I could even get up, he stopped me – with question.

    “Where is your passport? You said you lost. That’s mean you’re not from here.” I knew this will came out.

    “I - I lost it…” It came out sounded like a question. He looked to my eyes intensely. I swore I can hear my heart’s thumping out loud. The look on his face obviously knows that I’m lying.

    “Okay. Then what’s your name?” He leaned back to the couch and acted normal again; not the one who act like a professional detective.

    “I’m Dianne. Look, I know I’ve been a trouble for you since this morning. Is there anything I could do for you… before I leave?” I asked in worry.

    I don’t want to get involve with any guy especially stranger. I will make an exception for him since he save my life… from hunger. I’m so pathetic.

    “Where would you go? I though you lost. And you don’t have anything with you.” Right! I mentally slap myself.

    “I… I don’t know?” I answer unsure. Deep down inside me, I don’t want to leave this place. I already planned on going far away from city in the first place. Right now, I did it. I can’t go to town either. I overheard from the men who chased me yesterday, that they will look at the town for me. Maybe they will stick for just a few days. I should not be in town for few days either.

    “Then stay. It will be my fault too if something happen to you since I agreed not to send you to cops.” He said sternly. I don’t know I should be happy or not. But I nodded; don’t want to argue with him. “Tell me how did you lost and end up in my garage?” He asked another deadly question.

    “Garage? It’s more like a barn.” I received a look for that. It’s like he doesn’t trust me from the start. I should learn how to lie during my free time.

    Back to the garage place, it does look like a garage from the inside. It got truck, and repair instruments and car’s engines lying around the ground. It looks like a barn to me because the building is painted in red. And who make such an enormous place just for… a garage?