Twenty-Two

Zeus 
| twenty-two | 

Hermes stared up at Artemis, his tall frame unmoved as his eyes widened. The she-wolf before him was frozen, her mouth open to speak, but no words coming from her. Zeus stepped forward, instantly recognising the wolf before them, Anya staying back as she looked on, her eyes wide with confusion. 

Zeus put an arm around his sister, pulling her to her feet as her mouth opened and closed, a pained expression on her face. Hermes grunted as he pushed the stand from his body before standing up to face the three wolves before him, Anya now clutching at Artemis' hand as Zeus took a step towards him. 

"Welcome back." 

Hermes looked down at Zeus' outstretched hand, his eyes flickering towards Artemis who was mumbling under her breath as he took Zeus' hand and shook it. "Thanks," He mumbled, his eyes locking gazes with the Alpha before him. "I should probably go," He started, before Artemis' head snapped up, her eyes staring at him incredulously. 

"You're leaving already?" She whispered, her hair falling into her eyes. 

Hermes stared at her, his eyes slowly raking over her body as his wolf pushed to mark her. He gritted his teeth, forcing his wolf back as his eyes landed on her neck, where the locket lay. His eyes flashing towards hers, he took a step closer, "You still have it?" He asked, freezing as Artemis walked closer to him. 

She nodded her head, her eyes staring up at him, "When did you come back?" 

Blue eyes darkening with confusion, Hermes raised an eyebrow at her. "What are you talking about?" His eyes flashed towards Anya who had remained silent. "You're the Luna?" He asked, Anya smiling softly as she nodded. Hermes stepped forward, his hand reaching out to shake Anya's, "I'm Hermes. Artemis is my mat-" 

He was cut off by a growl coming from Artemis, before Zeus sent her a warning glare. "Keep your wolf in control," He threatened, Artemis instantly bowing her head in submission. She flashed Anya an apologetic smile, who shook her head in dismissal. 

"When did you come back?" Artemis repeated, Hermes watching her as she looked at the ground. 

His eyebrows scrunched up in frustration. "I don't-" 

"Excuse me, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave." 

All four wolves turned to the human who stood at the cash register. The middle aged man looked at them, a look of disgust on his features as his eyes narrowed behind his glasses. Zeus crossed his arms over his chest, his eyes glaring down at the human who gulped as he took in Zeus' large frame and muscles that his clothes did no help to hide. 

Anya reached out to touch Zeus' arm, the contact breaking the staring contest between the Alpha and the human. "Come on, let's just go home and we can sort it out there," She coaxed, her hands tugging him towards the door. Zeus' eyes remained on the human until they left the shop. 

Turning towards Hermes, he said in a gruff voice, "You're coming back to the pack house. No arguments." And with that he took off, his fingers entwined with Anya's as he lead them from the shopping centre. Artemis walked closely behind, Hermes begrudgingly following as his mate ignored him as they made their way home.  

Hermes sighed; he knew exactly how everyone was going to react. 

Hercules grunted as the smaller wolf before him threw a punch at him. 

For the past twenty minutes, Kharl had kept a close eye on him as he'd put him up against some of his best fighters. Hercules had already managed to put down two of the wolves, and was now up against the head fighter.