Chapter Eight - The Secret

Start from the beginning

“Thank you and of course; what kind of favor do you want me to do?”

“Well, I’m the head of the student council and we plan many kinds of stuff, like dances and major events. Anyways, long story short, we’re raising money for a charity organization called Right to Play, and I was wondering if you’d like to help out? Maybe even become a member of the student council?” she asked slowly.

Nicolette listened thoughtfully before speaking. “What’s this charity all about?”

“It gives children in developing nations a chance to get to play and learn many life lessons instead of being involved with war and stuff like that. Oh, although this is slightly off topic, but there was this one child in a village and he was the most popular kid because he had a sweater to roll up into a soccer ball. That really inspired me.”

Nicolette nodded with a faint smile on her face. “That’s amazing, if only it was like that here…” she laughed.

“Thanks so much! Follow me to my dorm; I have two other student council members planning things out right now, so you can help them with that.” Lillian said before walking swiftly out.

Nicolette was a little hesitant for a second, but then followed after her. It was better than doing nothing and it could keep her mind away from what might have happened to her diary.

A few minutes later, Lillian stood in front of a door and slid a key card into the slot. When it blinked green, she opened the door and immediately, Nicolette noticed how it was smaller than the coed room that she stayed in, but it felt much roomier. Two faces popped into view as she went further inside.

“Alright, gather around you two!” said Lillian loudly, “I’d like you all to introduce yourselves to my new friend Nicolette.”

Within seconds, the two girls went up to her, quickly, but calmly.

 “Jocelyn’s the name.” replied one girl, holding out her hand, “Are you new to this academy?”

Before Nicolette had time to reply, the girl with long auburn hair cut her in.

“—I’m Melissa Jaspen, team captain of the cheerleading team. If you know what’s good for you, don’t date any of the cheerleaders’ ex-boyfriends, they’re off limits.” she stated, shooting Nicolette a firm disapproving glare.

Right away, she could tell that she wasn’t going to like the second girl at all. Melissa seemed to be like one of those annoying, get on your nerves girls that her friends had described to her about.

“It’s nice to meet you guys,” replied Nicolette with a thin smile.

 “Okay girls, let’s get Nicolette up to speed about everything and then while you get back to work, you can ask her the questions you have.” stated Lillian, “Let’s get going now.”

Over the next few hours, the four girls snacked on food, asked questions about Nicolette, discussed things for Right to Play and did rough outlines of what needed to be done.

By the time Lillian announced that she was ordering pizza for everyone, it was five PM and they were just chilling on the couch, either watching TV or talking.

“So what classes do you have this semester Nicolette?” asked Jocelyn.

She looked at her, but didn’t say anything because it was then that Nicolette realized that she had completely forgotten to take a look at her semester schedule, and classes were starting tomorrow!

“Umm…”

“Don’t tell me you didn’t take a look at it.” piped up Melissa, looking up from the TV for a moment, giving her almost a dirty look.