Chapter Five - In which pumpkins are poisonous

Start from the beginning

"I can't believe they're doing this in the Great Hall!" Hermione retorts angrily as Ron pales slightly. I notice Harry hasn't been interested in any of this conversation, but instead keeps glancing up at the other empty space at the table at the front. Hagrid. Potter must be close to him or something. Maybe Hagrid is to him what Severus is to me. Thinking about him makes me feel guilty. 

I refuse to communicate with him more than necessary, but I know at some point I'm going to have to apologise. He is after all the only person in the school who understands me. As much as his controlling behaviour seems suffocating right now, I can't help my nightmares if I push away the one person who I can confine to about them.

"We could pretend we didn't see them?" Ron offers hopefully and Hermione shoots him a look.

"Oh look at the time, we should be heading off to Charms," I find myself saying and Ron looks at me gratefully. Hermione presses her lips together but doesn't say a word as we make our way to Charms. I find the stares more apparent and obvious, making me feel uncomfortable.

"What's their problem? Do they think they're all going to catch something from me?" Harry retorts angrily and I realise the stares aren't to me for once. Students move away from us making a clear path to the classroom. Harry kicks the wall in anger.

"Just ignore them," Hermione says tiredly. This must have been going on for sometime. How could I have not noticed? I guess I always assumed that no one took notice of the garbage that was being said in the Prophet.

"I don't think you're insane," I say in a low voice and Harry looks up surprised. He mutters a thanks and I decide to sit next to them instead of my usual place in the corner of the room. I'm not one who makes friends easily, but it's different now that I know how people are treating Harry. I know what that's like.

Hermione gives me what could only be described as a look of gratitude, as she pulls Ron to the other side of us. Harry's stormy mood continues throughout the lesson, but it doesn't effect me. I'm no stranger to being fed up with everything. Instead, I focus on getting on with the lesson without commenting on his anger. 

In the common room later, I sit by the fire with Ron as we work on the charts. George still hasn't said a word to me or looked my way. Guess he's taking what I said seriously and it doesn't sit well with me.

"This one means we're going to be mauled by a minotaur on Tuesday," Ron says and I scoff at him. As we've been going through the week, the prophecies are becoming more and more unrealistic. "Alright, you come up with something better then," Ron grumbles and I take the sheet from him.

"I think Friday's a good day to be poisoned," I say scanning the chart. Nothing in particular made me decide that aside from the fact that it would be a good way to end the week. 

"But you have to stay away from pumpkins..." Ron trails off, but then looks up excitedly. "I know, you're going to get poisoned by pumpkins on Friday," he says, writing it down before I can say another word. Raising an eyebrow at him, I nod at his enthusiasm. 

"Friday's not a good day, you don't think this is an omen about the Keeper tryouts do you?" Ron asks in a low voice and I shake my head at him.

"If any of this was true, we would have died three times already." I laugh and from the corner of my eye I see George glance our way for the first time. "Anyways I think you'll be fine." I say in a quieter voice. 

George leans on the wall opposite us and stares in our direction, whilst talking to Fred so it doesn't seem like he's actually looking at us. In fact, it could be me just reading into it all. Or how I want him to look at me. He said he wouldn't give up on me, but for the last week he hasn't said a word to me and listened to my angry retort.