twenty eight

"i'm in love." luke mumbled into his phone. it was late at night. very late. he wasn't sure who he called because he was blinded by the brightness of his phone. but nonetheless, he needed to call someone and tell them what he is feeling. he couldn't fall asleep without expressing how he feels about the events that just happened.

he was sure he called michael but he was wrong, "luke, it's 2 am." said a girl on the other line. her voice was scratchy and she sounded tired, just like luke. at first he thought it was a girl michael hooked up with but it hit him that he wasn't into girls.

luke sat up on his bed, "alyssa?"

"mhm." she mumbles.

"oh shit- shit- did i wake you up?"

she yawned, "yes you did. are you okay? there's no reason as to why you're calling me at 2 am on a school night."

"goodnight princess." he sang, hanging up. he sighed before laying back down and stare at the ceiling. he had a crazy idea stuck in his head, all he wanted to do was lay in bed with the love of his life.

after school the mail he was waiting for finally came. he got accepted into his dream college, yale university. or better yet, he got the football scholarship. he wanted to tell alyssa right away but she was busy dealing with something the whole evening. so he decided to wait and tell everyone tomorrow in person. he's never been so excited in his life, it was a great opportunity. but nebraska and connecticut is so far apart.

his phone rang snapping him out of his thoughts. it was alyssa calling.

"hey princess, you should be sleeping." he answered. but the only thing coming from the other line was sobbing. luke sat up straight, "hey, babe, what's wrong? are you alright?"

"n-no, it's my parents they're-" she managed to let out. "my parents are fighting because i told them i didn't want to go to college. maybe it's just a one time thing-" there should be no reason as to why her parents are up at 2 am arguing and not caring about their daughter hearing them.

"alyssa, calm down okay, i'm coming over." luke got out of bed and tried to put of a hoodie while holding his phone with his shoulder. he couldn't stand alyssa crying alone, she needed him. he remembered it's her parents that trigger panic attacks.

"luke you don't have to." she whispered.

"yeah, i need to." he hungs up and put on a pair of joggers on that was laying around on the floor. thankfully, his mom finally gave his car keys back because of how happy she was when they opened the envelope that consisted of luke's future. he was so focused on the fact that alyssa was crying that he forgot why her parents were fighting.

his parents won't be happy if he was caught sneaking out at 2 in the morning on a school night. he decides to leave a note just in case he stays at her house for the day. he left a note indicating he went over at alyssa's house because she was dealing with family issues and she needed someone to be there for her.

he went out the front door quietly and got into his car. he almost kissed his stirring wheel because of how much he missed it.

within only a few minutes, he arrived at her house. it was a smart idea to park by her neighbour and not in her driveway because her parents might catch them.

he got out of the car and saw that the lights in their living room was on. he carefully climbed up the tree, where his long legs came in handy, that was beside alyssa's house and into her window that was already unlocked.

luke found alyssa all cuddled up into her blanket, with only her head poking out. she sat up when she realized he was there. she had her dirty blonde hair tied up into a messy bun. luke's heart almost tear apart by the sight of her crying. she spread her arms out and luke immediately walked towards her. he wrapped his arms around her warm body and just held her.