Chapter 37: Something Beautiful And Tragic

Beth: December 26, 2014 8:14 a.m.

     I jumped awake, my eyes wide and hysteric. Someone had screamed my name, I was sure of it.

"BETH!" the voice screamed clearly this time, resulting in me jumping out of my hospital bed and gripping the I.V. pole next to me tightly.

I had gotten out of surgery only a few hours prior to this and the pain medication was slowly wearing off. I had organ damage from being stabbed- specifically a large intestine perforation. I was slowly bleeding internally and I had fainted. I then woke up in a hospital in utter confusion and fear. No one had told me what had happened to Mona.

But I knew now as I forced myself down the hall, adrenaline coursing through me as I looked into each room I passed while tugging the I.V. pole after me. 

"WHERE IS BETH!" Mona's surprisingly strong scream makes me jump. She's just up ahead. I trudge forward, reaching the room and stumbling in, my eyes wide in fear as to why she was screaming for me.

"Mona!" I burst out, my voice labored from the trek here. My eyes finally landed her to my right. She was being held down by a man I didn't know at all and was fighting to get out of bed. Her skin was incredibly clean as well as her hair and I immediately noticed the missing leg even under the bed sheets.

When she finally noticed me in the room, she stopped fighting the young man. 

I hurried to her side, shoving the unknown man aside and climbing into bed next to her. "Hey, hush now. Everything is okay. I'm fine. What's wrong, Mona?" I cooed softly as I pulled her into my side and stroked her hair soothingly.

She was crying now, something she did often,  and was leaning into me. "They wouldn't let me see you. I had to see you. I don't trust them. I don't trust anyone." she rambled.

I nodded and hushed her a few times, holding still now because it hurt me a lot to move.

Somehow, Mona and I had made it.  We were alive and able to hold onto one another in fear of this being a trick or unreal. But it wasn't a trick and it was real. We had gotten out alive even though Jenna and Kaila hadn't. We still didn't know what happened to Zoey until another person burst into the room sharing similar features to us. It was none other than Zoey Quinn herself, who burst into a fit of tears and climbed in to bed on the other side of Mona.
The entire room and the small group of people that had appeared soon dissipated and it was only us, clinging onto each other and crying, all of us feeling a heavy feeling that nagged at our chests. Kaila and Jenna should be here with us, crying about making it out alive, but our tears weren't shed for that reason. They were shed because Jarek had taken even more from us than we thought he would.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Malakai: December 2014

After Beth and Zoey arrived, (and Beth pushing me away from my sister) the rest of my family and Brenton shuffled into the room and waited patiently for the episode to end. 

Beth was eventually wheel chaired back to her room and Zoey had been released from the hospital earlier this morning, so she kissed Mona on the forehead as well as kissed Beth on her forehead before she disappeared somewhere down the hall.

From there, a long conversation about how much everyone loved and missed Mona commenced. She eventually grew tired of it and started ignoring us, acting out of character, though no one expected her to be the same Mona as before. It was believed she had killed people out there, though she wouldn't admit anything. Officers came to question her a few times ever since she woke up, though she waved them away and refused to speak at all until she was ready to.  No one could argue with her on that, so we all gave her the space she needed.

The same couldn't be said for Zoey and Beth. Both girls admitted to murdering people in self defense. The FBI soon interfered. Apparently, they had been following the girl's kidnapper for quite a while and were quite upset to learn he had been killed, though they ruled the murders self defense and no one argued. How could you when the man they killed is the same one who kidnapped, tortured, murdered, and even raped multiple people in his lifetime. The girls may have legally gotten away with killing people, but therapists were already sure their psyche would be haunted by it as well as everything else.

Over the next few days, we came to the realization that the girls wouldn't stand for being separated, so my family and theirs made a schedule in which the girls would see each other. We quickly came to know the girls as kind and reliant on one another. Their families were simply ecstatic to have their daughter/niece back safely.

Beth only had a mom, who looked as though she had driven herself mad trying to find her daughter. Beth had been missing for 8, almost 9 months. Zoey was kidnapped a month before Mona and had been missing 5, almost 6 months. The left Mona to be missing 4, almost 5 months.

My baby sister ended up losing her leg because infection had set in and couldn't be stopped unless they disrupted it completely. Along with infection, the dog had severed something important- rendering the leg useless and unable to move at all anymore. They removed her entire left leg.

They reconstructed her nose, something that broke one way or another. She still wouldn't speak about it all. Her entire back had long, nasty scars scattered around her skin that made me livid. I found myself wishing the man hadn't died just so I could hunt him down and kill him myself. I got the feeling Brenton felt the same.

A little over a week later, Mona was released from the hospital, multiple doctor appointments set up for the future. She was given her own wheelchair so she could get around and I volunteered to wheel her from the hospital. I couldn't be happier that I had Mona back, even if I didn't have all of her. I was terrified for a while there that I would soon only have one younger sister, though I would never admit it to anyone.

I'm sure everyone else felt the exact same.