Chapter 25: The Hunt

(A/N) These next couple chapters (including this one) will be jumping around from different points of views. Stick with me and pay attention to who's telling their part. :)

Damien: December 25, 2014 7:45 a.m.

I watched helplessly from the kitchen window as the last girl disappeared into the tree line. This was it. I no longer needed to snoop around.

I pulled my phone from my pocket, dialing my bosses number.

One ring. Two rings. Three rings.

"Hello?" her crisp voice answered.

"It's Damien!" I barked into the phone. "Send in backup. The girls have been released into the woods. I hope it will all be a clean pick up and arrests for the holidays, but I don't think things will go so smoothly."

"What's his plan?" she asked.

I took a deep breath, hoping my voice wouldn't give out. "He's hunting them. One of his buddies is bringing over dogs- a Christopher James, he said- and he's going to kill four of them. The people he has posted throughout the woods are in on the...game. You still got some of our men waiting out here, right?" I relayed.

I heard a loud shuffling sound on the other hand and I a few choice curse words before she came back through. "Yeah. You try and keep the girls together. Stay with them. It's time to blow cover, Aiden."

I smiled at my real name. No more alias.

I hung up the phone, pulling my hand gun from where I had concealed it on my hip and made my way through the house. I had to find where Jarek had gone.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Mona: December 25, 2014 8:17 a.m.

Frosty air burned my lungs as I surged through the forest. Adrenaline and fear coursed through my body, causing me to stumble more often than run.

Jenna and Zoey were just ahead of us, occasionally turning around to make sure we were still following. We had gotten almost 2 miles into the forest.

Beth gripped at my shirt, patting me violently in an effort to grab my attention.

I already knew what was happening. She was having an asthma attack.

I stopped suddenly, jerking around to face her. Kaila breathlessly called out for Jenna and Zoey to stop as I pulled the inhaler from Beth's buttoned pocket. She was too weak to get it herself.

"We don't have time for this!" Jenna cried hysterically.

I couldn't blame her. I had never been so scared in my entire life.

How were we going to escape if Beth kept slowing us all down?

"Beth!" Jenna looked at her with pleading eyes. "We need to leave you behind."

"No!" I shrieked, throwing an arm in front of her. I loved Beth the most. I would never be able to just leave her.

Beth took a puff on her inhaler and held her breath, nodding at Jenna.

As she released her breath, she looked at me. "She's right. I'm going to die anyway."

I felt my heart stop and my surroundings melt around me. "What?" I whispered. My voice must have sounded heart broken because Beth had to look away from me. "Beth, we're not leaving you behind. We can carry you. We can- W-we can hide somewhere." I tried coming up with other solutions, stepping closer to my best friend and trying to get her to look at me.

"Damien." I heard a soft voice whisper.

At first, I thought Beth had said it, but after a glance around our small group, I had realized it had come from Zoey.