Chapter 2: Taken

Brenton: September 1, 2020

I puked into the toilet for the fifth time that morning.

Mona was going to be upset. I had promised to pick her up at her house every morning now, though today, the first day I was supposed to start this, I was sick.

Dragging myself back into my room, my body ached and trembled as I slumped back into bed and felt around for my phone. When I found it, I pulled it back to my face with all the strength of a newborn kitten and shakily unlocked the device. Opening my texting app, I clicked on Mona's conversation name, "My Love."

"Good morning, my love. Cant pick you up today. Got the flu last night. Im sorry. I love you. Dont hate me."

I sent the text and set my phone down next to me, feeling horrible that she would have to walk to school alone with how scared she was of the person in the car.

My phone buzzed then and I scooped it up and checked the lockscreen. Mona's contact name was displayed along with her message.

"Oh ok :c Sorry you dont feel good. I can pick you up some crackers & cans of soup if you want?"

I unlocked my phone and read the message again. A bad feeling grew in my stomach. Something was screaming at me to make sure she stayed home today as well.

"No. You should stay home too. I dont want anything happening to you."

I sent the message and locked the phone, waiting for her reply and growing more nervous with each passing minute.

Twenty-one minutes passed until I finally received her text back.

"Sorry I was doing my makeup lol. Nah im already ready. Ill just walk alone its ok. I love you."

I wanted to beg her to stay home. To get a ride. It was almost as though her fear was transferred to me and I couldn't stand it.

"I love you too."

I sent my message and locked my phone, contemplating whether or not I should force myself out of bed and escort her to school- sick or not.

My stomach turned then. I wasn't sure if it was because of the looming feeling of disaster and anxiety, or if it was the flu.

Getting out of bed again, I shuffled to the bathroom, knelt down in front of the toilet and wretched into the water again, tears stinging my eyes as my stomach acid burned my throat.

It was both.

~ ~ ~

Mona: September 1, 2020

Another text pinged my phone as I stepped out the front door, making me pause to read it.

"I love you too."

It was from Brenton. He was sick today and I felt horrible. I had half a mind to skip school and take care of him as he was down for the count today.

With a sigh, I locked my phone, deciding I'd reply when I got to school.

Before I closed the front door, I leaned back into the house and called a good bye to my sister, who was the only one awake this morning as I ate breakfast with her. My mom was sick with the flu as well and I was beginning to wonder if I was in danger of catching it. I hated the flu.

It was then that I decided to stay away from Brenton and my mom until I knew for good that they were better. My fear of vomiting was too intense to risk catching the stomach bug they had.