Chapter 11: The Shirt

Brenton: September 5, 2014

I ran from the park and reached my silver car parked closest to the street. I hopped in and closed the door, jamming my keys in the ignition quickly before pulling out of my parking space and racing after the black car.

He hadn't gotten very far and I decided to follow at a distance.

It didn't the black car long to pull into the parking lot of a Staples store.

Due to the massive size of the building, I was able to park in a parking spot far away from the black car's and go unnoticed.

I sat in the driver's seat, watching intently the man get out of his car and headed into the store. He was tall. So tall that I wondered how he even fit in the small black car. He had dark hair and was built quite large. Not as large as me but still large. I was probably a few inches shorter than this man. He was dressed quite nicely for a man who was only going into Staples. He wore a dark suit and red tie, all ironed neatly.

I began to doubt this was Mona's kidnapper. He just looked like a man going in for a job interview, that's all.

He soon disappeared within the store and I looked to his car in curiosity. Should I investigate? I thought to myself.

After lingering behind the steering wheel for a few seconds, I huffed and opened my door, stepping onto the asphalt and closing then locking my car before making my way across the parking lot.

His black car shimmered beneath the bright sun, further proving that this man was a cleanly person. Spotless with the exception that he may be my girlfriend's kidnapper.

Nonchalantly, I stood in the empty parking space next to his car and pretended to look for someone, though I was really only looking around for anyone who could be watching me. The parking lot was barren with the exception of the other vehicles.

I took my chance and tried the door, praying there was no alarm. There wasn't. The back door opened easily and I laughed to myself. What idiot left a nice a car like this unlocked in a Staples parking lot?

I shook the thought away and quickly began to look around the car. Nothing. It was empty. Not even water bottles or gum wrappers. I sighed and looked out the window. He hadn't come back yet.

With one last idea, I leaned further into the car and unlocked the trunk with a button on the dashboard.

I got out of the nice car, which also smelled new and clean, and closed the door before making my way to the rear of the car.

I tugged the trunk open and glanced back to Staples hesitantly. Still no sign of the cleanly yet large man.

I focused back on the trunk and peered inside. A single Wal-Mart bag lay on the floor, folded up neatly along with it's contents.

I allowed my curiosity to get the best of me and I pulled the bag out and unfolded it then peeked inside. It's only item was an off-white shirt with a shredded back. The shreds were covered in a rustic colored paint- from what I could tell- and I decided to pull the shirt out carefully.

It unfolded as I pulled out and I realized that it wasn't paint, but rather dried blood- and a lot of it.

I dropped the shirt in fright and cringed away from it.

Did I just incriminate evidence? Shakily, I bent down and picked the shirt up again, turning it over a few times to inspect it.

I looked back up and noticed the man approach the automatic glass doors.

I looked back to the shirt and gasped. Should I take it with me? If he finds out someone took it, he may leave town before anyone can even blink an eye.