Chapter 33: Stories Of A Better Time

Start from the beginning

That was when I bumped into something that let out a heavy "oomf!"

I froze, knowing that our situation wasn't good now.

A sudden flash of dark whipped past me, the dog's body slamming into the person behind me, sending there body away from my own.

The man began screaming as I listened to Apostasy rip into his flesh.

I was still frozen, terrified to turn around and watch my new companion kill the man. Terrified to stare into the shadows ahead of me and possibly witness Beth being killed.

"Mother fucker!" I heard Beth scream followed by a different female grunt.

I decided Beth had her situation handled and turned to check on Apostasy. I wasn't prepared to see what I did.

It was Jarek, holding Apostasy by the throat. He was going to kill him. My eyes fell on the gun at his feet, my mind knowing what to do. Before Jarek could react, I dove for his weapon, my body slamming into his legs and knocking him backwards.

Apostasy fell to the ground, shook his head, then pounced again, quickly recovering to protect me.

The gun was in my hands, the safety off. The German shepherd was on top of Jarek, attempting to bite into my kidnapper's throat, though his forearm was raised and pushing against the dog's chest. I had never shot a gun before. If I shot now, I'd risk killing the dog.

Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes, listening as Beth made threats to the person behind me.

*-*-*-*-

October 31, 2014

"It's Halloween." Beth informed us, her eyes closed.

"Beautiful. Jarek doesn't need to dress up." Jenna sasses.

I see Kaila roll her eyes in the fading afternoon light that filled the basement. "He's not scary looking. He just has a terrifying personality."

"Oh please." Jenna bites back, her sweaty hair clinging to her face. "He doesn't have a personality. He's not even human and I would have no problem at all with shooting that bastard in the face."

"I think we would all prefer to beat the shit out of him with a hammer and nails." Zoey spoke up, causing us all to giggle a little.

"Maybe Aiden would do it. You seem to have a lot of faith in him." Beth laughs lightly.

Zoey only shrugs, having nothing to add.

Everyone is quiet for a moment, each of us taking turns in looking the other in the eyes.

"I swear to god. If I ever get my hands on a gun, I will show that bastard no mercy." Jenna growls into the silence.

We all nod, silently agreeing that Jarek would regret even blinking in our direction.

*-*-*-*-

I cocked the gun, shoving it straight out in front of me.

"Apostasy!" I called followed by three short whistles.

He perked up, jumping away from Jarek and running to my side. Without hesitation, I fired the gun, resulting in the bullet lodging itself into his thigh.

He let out a gutteral scream, sitting up to model his bloody face. Apostasy must have bitten into him at some point.

"You fucking bitch!" he screamed at me, his hair disheveled for once in his constantly neat life.