Chapter 55: Mrs. Rapunzel

Chapter 55:

Mrs. Rapunzel

If Bilbo hasn't previously proved his worth to the company, he is surely doing so now, leading me to and from meetings within the cavernous interiors of the Lonely Mountain. Though I want to blame his available time to wander the halls, I recognize the fact that Bilbo has a better sense of direction than myself, and I was a bird before he ever was. Maybe it's a hobbit thing, but if I know anything, it's a Bilbo thing, as he is not like most hobbits.

The final meeting of the day is rather unexpected, Bilbo having run off on Thorin's errands and leaving Tauriel and myself to find our own way to the entrance hall. Luckily enough, the repeated pattern of traveling between the sitting room and entrance hall gives me some sense of direction, nonetheless instinct; and thus, the she-elf and I arrive at the entrance hall just as the last elf soldier is leaving.

Thranduil stands upon the stairs to my near right, sending orders with the wave of his hand, a raised chin, and newly brushed hair. Seeing my own shock at the departure of his army, the elf king makes his way towards me, strides long and haughtiness even in his pinky toes. Tauriel looks just as shocked as me, though it's soon covered by a disgruntled expression unlike my own.

The newly arrived dwarves, originating from all lands across Middle Earth, gape at the forward actions of Thranduil, but moreover, his stature over my own. It's one thing to stand next to Tauriel, shortened and uglied by her tall and beautiful persona. But alas, standing before the elf king I previously hated is absolutely demeaning. Although my skin glows beautifully with my Phoenix blood, I am not match for the powerful and stunning Thranduil, only heightened by his superior attitude. My small form only reaches up to the bottom of his rib cage, his majestic robes making Thorin's apparel on my own body look tattered and worn. He knows that he looks better than I, but unlike before, he takes no obvious joy in this point.

"You're leaving," I mutter, intended to be a question, but vocalized as a statement. Anyone with eyes can see the elf army marching across the horizon, still moving even as Thranduil is not at their lead. The elf king cocks an eyebrow at my tone, smirking as I look embarrassed.

"Do not worry, child. They will be back with their families in time for the wedding. But you do not care so much for them, but about whether I intend to stay...isn't that right?" he drawls in his arrogant tone. Tauriel, to my left side, rolls her eyes at her previous king and commander, having known his pride up close and personally. I, on the other hand, find myself blushing at the attention and cringing at the truth in his statement. Surely, I have come to enjoy Thranduil's company, something I would have cursed out just days ago. There is something about his arrogance and smirk that appeals to my friendly instincts.

"Yes, that would be the case," I respond with honesty. As I have said, time and time again, I am not one to lie about my true feelings, no matter how embarrassing. Thranduil just laughs at my frankness, moving slightly closer to my form.

"Then you have no need to worry, for I will continue my residency within your halls, at least until the wedding. We, the people of Mirkwood, have found a valuable ally within yourself and have no intention of undermining that," Thranduil addresses me, causing both Tauriel and myself to gape. Who knew that the elf king could be so heartfelt and loyal? Surely, not Thror and Thorin, that's for sure.

"Your wisdom compares to no one, other than our Lady Galadriel and the blasted Grey Wizard himself, especially in your youthful age. Everyone can see the obvious bravery and love within your stance, nonetheless your flawless beauty in all creatures' eyes. If you were slightly taller and not taken by the stubborn dwarf king, I would take you for myself," the elf king continues to speak, dropping Tauriel and me into further shock. Thranduil cannot surely be flirting with me, and yet, he is. This is one to go in the books, that's for sure.