Chapter 28: Bonding time with Thorin...and the Valar...in Bard's bathroom

Chapter 28:

Bonding time with Thorin...and the Valar... in Bard's bathroom

The cessation of the rocking underneath the barrels hints at our arrival at Bard's dock. Peeking my head up from Thorin's coat, I hear the tumbling of barrels and a complaining Dwalin. I chuckle at it, as Dwalin deserves to have his barrel kicked over for all his words earlier in the day. Thorin looks upon me, puzzled as to my laughter.

"Get your hands off me," Dwalin shouts, probably at Bard. I roll my eyes before throwing the pounds of fish off of me in a hurry. My wild gestures to remove the fish, of course, send our barrel onto its side and Thorin and I tumbling out. We both grunt as we fall over onto the cold and greasy fish, our bodies splayed out in the mess. Thorin picks himself off the ground after sending me a disgruntled look to which I grin apologetically. He grabs my outstretched hand, pulling me up but not close to him. I understand, for we all smell like death.

"Follow me," Bard commands us as we take off into the streets. I linger in the back with my brother and sister, aware of the eyes watching us from stalls and shutters. Their gazes coupled with the cold climate sends chills up my spine, prompting Typhon to pull me into his warm side. It helps, but not as much as it could have if we smelled nice.

Rounding another narrow corner in Lake Town, a young boy runs up to Bard in a frenzy. Their similar hair and eyes hints that the boy is Bard's son, but his state of panic is alarming all the same.

"Da! Our house, it's being watched," the boy yells louder than any of us would have liked. Bard's eyes travel over to Thorin, as he is the unspoken leader of our company. The brown eyes reflect a forming plan within the human male's mind.

"Into the water, all of you," Bard rashly shoos us to the path's ledge. This sends the dwarves into an uproar, reasonably, over the "frozen mud pond" and "goddamned lake." All of their comments would be hilarious if we were not in this situation, but alas, I find myself in the water under Laketown.

Luckily enough, Phoenicians instinctively know how to swim, so that is not a problem. The presence of water, on the other hand, is not very lucky. I fall into another shaking fit, along with my siblings, at the mere entrance to the water. Thorin, seeing my state of disrepair, holds me to his chest, hoping to warm me up. The other dwarves gather about my siblings for the same purpose, avoiding me as Thorin growls territorially.

It is a great bonding moment, as we traverse the contaminated waters of Laketown, in pursuit of Bard's home. Eventually, after much swearing and the loss of feeling in our limbs, we arrive at the house. It only gets worse from there, however, as Bard's plan consists of us climbing into his house through the toilet. Yes, you heard me right: I have to climb in through a toilet.

Dwalin goes first, wanting to end this humiliating experience as soon as possible. We work together to push him up, after hearing the signal, found in a knock to the toilet seat.

"If you speak of this to anyone, I'll rip your arms off," Dwalin says from above, though at whom it was delivered, I do not know. Personally, I know I never want to think, nonetheless talk, about this ever again.

"Get off," Dwalin grunts to the innocent boy. We follow in an orderly fashion from then on, starting with Bilbo and ending with Bombur. I follow the hobbit, climbing nimbly from the toilet seat despite my trembling body. The boy, waiting up above, gestures for me to enter the house through the stairs to our side. I nod my head in thanks, anticipating the chance to bathe.

"Da...why are there dwarves climbing out of our toilet?" a girl asks, though I assume she is Bard's daughter. She looks to be about the age of Sidel, though in human years. Her hair holds a golden blonde and her eyes look after her dad's.