Chapter 23: Rapunzel brings out the best in me

Chapter 23:

Rapunzel brings out the best in me

"Search them," Legolas commands his guards as we stand complacently inside the elf circle. Legolas pats down my sides and legs, looking for weapons. I roll my eyes, for he knows that I do not carry weapons on my person. I am a weapon.

I turn around, hearing an elf's huff, only to see the endless supply of knives found on Fili. I laugh at them, figuring at least one knife will make it into the jail cell. From what I can see, Fili has more knives than you could ever use in battle.

After Legolas finishes checking my body for weapons, he turns to an irritated Gloin (when is he not irritated?), who growls at the elven prince's contact. From a pocket, Legolas pulls out Gloin's family picture. I smile at its cuteness, but Legolas seems to think differently of it.

"Hey! Give it back! That's private!" the dwarf yells, snatching unsuccessfully at the prince's hands. Legolas moves a bit away to look at the picture of the dwarves. In all sincerity, it is kind of creepy how much time he spends looking at it.

"Who is this? Your brother?" the elven prince asks, pointing at the dwarf to Gloin's right in the picture.

"That is my wife!" Gloin shouts, understandably offended. Dwarven males are very protective of their ladies, as females are very rare.

"And what is this horrid creature? A goblin mutant?" Legolas asks, turning to a different picture, that of Gloin's son.

"That's my wee lad, Gimli," the dwarf responds. Legolas looks questionably upon my fellow traveler, as if Gloin would lie about his son. Meanwhile, the elf is still grabbing knives off of Fili's person.

"Gyrth in yngyl bain? {Are the spiders dead?}," Legolas asks the female guard and savior of Kili.

"Ennorner gwanod in yngyl na nyryn. Engain nar. { Yes, but more will come. They're growing bolder}," she responds, working her way through the dwarves. The elf by Fili pulls out another knife from the dwarf's hood and a guard hands Orcrist to Legolas, ignoring my protests.

"Echannen i vegil hen vin Gondolin. Magannen nan Gelydh. {This is an ancient Elvish blade. Forged by my kin}," the prince says in elvish. Honestly, I am getting really tired of not knowing Sindarin, especially in these situations. Thorin winds his fingers through mine as we look upon the tall elf.

"Where did you get this?" Legolas asks Thorin.

"It was given to me," Thorin responds truthfully. Inching the sword upward, Legolas points it towards Thorin, grazing his neck.

"Not just a thief, but a liar as well," Legolas accuses my king. I growl and make a move to hit Legolas, but Thorin pulls me away from the fight. Looking into his eyes, I see his hopelessness regarding our situation. I just grasp his hand tighter, hopefully in comfort.

"Enwenno hain! {Take them!}," Legolas shouts. At this command, the elves round up our dwarven company and lead us into the Mirkwood palace. Thorin and I fall into the middle of the company, the dwarves moving to protect their king. Bofur, just in front of me, leans around to ask us a question while we pass through the viney gate:

"Where's Bilbo?" Looking around, I see no hobbit or sign of his activity. I just shrug my shoulders, figuring that Bilbo can easily fend for himself. He is no longer the gentle and innocent hobbit from months ago.

"Holo in ennyn {Close the gate}," Legolas commands the gatekeeper, his eyes lingering for a few moments as if sensing something. I feel the same pull in my gut as I look about, seeing nothing. I can only hope its Bilbo and Legolas can only hope its nothing.