Chapter 39: Changing fate with Bilbo Baggins

Chapter 39:

Changing fate with Bilbo Baggins

The welcome party does not last long, for Thorin soon forces us to return to our search for the Arkenstone. And when I say "us," I mean the remainder of the company because Thorin refuses to let me help. The King Under the Mountain sends his nephews in search of a chair "worthy of royalty." And so, after countless arguments and minutes, the boys return with a wooden chair, etched in scenes of battle. Jewels of various colors and gold detailing shine in the ethereal light of the hoard. It is beautiful.

Thorin has the two dwarves place the chair on top of the highest mountain of treasure, ensuring its proximity to the searching company and view of the vast riches of Erebor. I follow Thorin, having nothing better to do, up the hill of gold and to the chair's large side. He does not move to sit on it, but looks to me as I stare on in confusion.

"What?" I ask, thoroughly confused as to why he is gesturing at me.

"Sit," he commands, grabbing my waist and maneuvering me onto the cold wood of the chair. I just gape at him, slightly angry at the treatment, for I only desire to help my fellow companions in their search. Thorin ignores my look, turning back around to manage the wandering company members. He moves behind the chair, coming to rest his hands on my shoulders as I look on, uncomfortable.

"Any sign of it?" Thorin shouts down to Dwalin. The bald dwarf looks up, moving away from his search at the base of our mountain of treasure. By the way Thorin is perched, Dwalin has to look directly at me in order to address Thorin's question. I cringe away at the feeling of superiority, wanting nothing more than to hide in the shadows of this vast room.

"Nothing yet," Dwalin responds.

"Nothing here," Nori pipes up from another pile, feet away. Since the search began, hours have passed away, and I find myself losing hope in the Arkenstone's discovery. Despite the vastness of this treasure hoard, we are bound to easily spot the King's Jewel. My suspicion grows with the passing of the minutes and hours, instinctively knowing that someone has found the jewel, and hidden it from Thorin.

"Keep searching!" Thorin yells from beside my head, causing me to cringe. If the dwarf king notices, he doesn't say or express it, just continues to rub circles on my shoulder blades. Typically, I would find comfort in this, but the given situation sends shivers of fear up my spine at his touch.

"That jewel could be anywhere!" Oin shouts from farther away, obviously angry at the menial work. If I was in his shoes, I would feel the same way.

My inspection of the company around the room is dropped away as Thorin lifts me from the chair, places himself on it, then sets me on his lap. I shy away at the contact, causing him to growl at me. Whether its my natural instinct to cuddle into him or my fear of his anger, I relinquish the tension in my body and relax back into his chest. His arms wrap about my waist as he kisses the curve of my neck, repeatedly. Thorin acts as if we're not in view of the entire company, the sickness fostering obliviousness within the dwarf.

""The Arkenstone is in these halls--find it!" Thorin yells, moving away for a second to respond to Oin's complaint. The dwarf king returns to kissing my neck and collarbones as the dwarves continue their search. Obviously, this dragon sickness not only emphasizes the greed within Thorin, it increases his lustiness for my personage. Normally, I would not complain of such a thing, but the company of dwarves around us and the sickliness of Thorin gives me great worry over his affectionate actions.

"You heard him--keep looking!" Dwalin commands, taking in his role of the typical second-dwarf-in-charge. Looking to my right and into the darkness, I notice Tauriel's observing figure hiding behind a carves column of stone. Our eyes meet, and she takes in the position of Thorin and myself up on the temporary throne. I send her a helpless and sorrowing glance before turning back to my king.