Chapter 13: The King of Remarkable Pigheadedness

Chapter 13:

Thorin, King of the Remarkable Pigheadedness

A great valley of tall oak trees and rolling hills of carnations phases into presence in front of my eyes. Though I know it as a dream, I can feel the wind pick though my golden locks and the floral scent reach into my nose. The scene can only be described as perfect as the carnations take on all colors and the trees reach high into the blue heavens. Despite my inner reason, I find myself thinking I have died and gone to the Valar, for I feel completely awake in that moment.My feet find themselves trudging through the light grasses and flowers, down an unworn path that reaches till a stream.

My consciousness has no control over my body, though it is not completely resistant to explore such a beautiful place. However, my dwarven stubbornness leaves me hating the powerlessness and rejoicing in the freedom that I find once the trail ends. Before I can do any further exploration, the water, a crisp blue, begins to take on a form in front of my eyes.

My shock cannot be more evident as I find myself confronted with a woman of incredible beauty. Never in my life have I seen a woman as bright as she is: her white hair, lavender eyes, and moon-white skin practically glow in the sun shining down upon us. Her voice, as sweet as honeysuckle gives the confirmation I need to recognize her true identity. She is ethereal, part of the Valar.

"My child, you have grown beautiful since the last time I visited you as a mere infant. But I do not expect you to remember the dream from so long ago, at such a young age. I will merely tell you that we have been watching over you, waiting for the moment of your utmost importance," the lady says to me.

"Importance? I believe you to be mistaken, my lady, but I am nothing more than a companion, one of many on a quest. I am of no importance, I assure you."

"Take heed, Erudian Houdart, to not offend the mighty Valar. We know more than thee and you best listen," She replies, "Your time has come. The line of Durin rests upon your wings. Take one faulty swoop and you will be their downfall. You must be brave and have faith in your convictions. Do not grieve in what you will lose, but rejoice in what you will gain. Fight for those you love, but do not lose sight of your path. We will be watching over you, guiding you. Do not be afraid, but take faith in our power."

Before her words have a chance to fully sink in, the lady is gone and I am left at a creek's bend. Taking her departure as a sign to think, I sit on a boulder, feet dangling in the stream. It is an hour before I come to the conclusion that I have been tasked with saving Durin. But why? I can only hope that the lady's promise to return will give me a chance for questions.

Suddenly overcome with exhaustion, my legs curl into my body and I turn onto my side in sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It does not feel like a full moment when I feel a gentle nudge to my ribcage. My eyes flutter open to find Thorin, who looks just as exhausted as I feel. His eyes rest a few inches from my face and his hair covers me like drapes. I groan quite loudly, before grabbing him around the waist and stuffing my face into his shoulder as if he is a pillow. His chuckle reverberates through his chest and into my ear, as my head picks back up, grinning slightly at him. I lean over him, reversing the position he took just moments ago.

"We must depart before the elves take notice," he reminds me as his eyes gaze into mine. His morning voice can only be described as glorious and overwhelmingly majestic, causing a deep blush to overtake my cheeks. In an attempt to keep my dignity, I turn away from him and stand up without looking him in the eye. His grunt effectively communicates his displeasure with my withdrawal, but I ignore it, knowing we must get moving.